Military Firearm Restoration Corner

New Toys

odies dad

Stopped at the pawn shop friday and Jerry told me he had one I should take a look at.

IPB Image

M14S 308

I have wanted one of these for years but they have always been priced way out of my league.

This one wasn't too bad. It came with 4 mags, 2 of which were loaded, a nice padded case, and a cleaning kit.

This one is a Polytech but is well made and shoots great.

Now I need to learn all about these. I consider myself somewhat of a Mauser expert (has been drip under pressure), but know very little about these other than they are really cool.

What is the difference between a M14 and a M1a? Some of the parts appear to interchange.

I am looking for a scope mount for it so I can actually hit something.

Another friend also brought over our new PACT XP chronograph. This thing has lots of neat features. As well as telling your velocity, it will print up a ballistics chart, tell you your optimum zero and point blank range for your load. It also had other features we have yet to figure out. The manual is good reading as well. One part said something to the effect "With all due respect for our female customers, most likely you are a he and aren't planning on reading the rest of this manual..." It has a bunch of humerous stuff.

M14 is capable of fully automatic fire, the M1A is not. The Chinese built M14S/M1A has a somewhat spotty reputation. Some of the early ones had some headspace issues due to soft bolts. This can often be fixed with a change out to an American bolt. Check the headspace. Doing that may be a problem, as the guns are in 7.62 NATO, which has a longer headspace than 308 Win. Which is not a problem, as long as you are aware of it. If the rifle headspaces longer than 308 Win, but still within NATO specs, you should shoot only Mil Surp NATO in it. If the rifle headspaces within 308 Win specs, go for it. You are cleared for pretty much anything.

If the rear sights are marked "WCE", those are probably Chinese copies. They may or may not be decent. But a US made Mil sight assembly is a direct drop in.

Now, having said all those negatives. The reciver is forged, as opposed to Springfield Armory's cast receiver. Most US parts will work, except the gas cyclinder(different threads), gas piston, and the castle nut. They are sought after, since they are MUCH cheaper than Springfields, and Springfield's quality seems to have gone down hill. The barrels are chrome lined for longer life. Most people that I have read who have them, love them.

Which one do you have? I have been told to look for the ones marked "IDE" on the left receiver heel. Circa serial number 20000 and above, less chance of having some of the earlier problems that way. It seems only the early ones had problems. I read one posting where the guy is on his 3rd barrel, having worn out the first two. I am looking to get at least one myself.

If you get it, check out Fred's M14 stocks and get a nice USGI stock. They really make them look good, especially in tiger striped Brich.

Smith Enterprises has a scope mount that has a very good reputation. They have a sale on an earlier version.

Oh, and the USGI flashider is supposed to work. It looks much better with the real slots in it.

And lastly, if you don't want it, I'll take it.

http://www.smithenterprise.com/products15.html

http://www.fredsm14stocks.com/catalog/stocks.asp

http://www.aimsurplus.com/acatalog/copy_of__308.html

VERY COOL!

There are many similarities between the M14 and the M1 Garand. The biggests differences are the M14s are chambered in 7.62 x 51 (most M1s are 30-06, but some have been rebarreled to 308) and they have the detachable magazine.

You can shoot it in a Garand Match.

If you have a shooter, enjoy it, and if you decide to sell it and Sailormilan doesn't want it any more, let me know!

The Polytech and other Chinese arms that were being imported were all getting a bad rap when they were still legal to import. Not only in the gun rags but it was also about the same time the internet took off. If you check the older posts in rec.guns there are not alot of kind words for it but there were posts from those that actually owned one that were willing to argue. Personally I feel most the bad press was propaganda. Had the Chinese imports had not been banned it would have likely been the doom to the US fireamrs industry. Look what China did to the US tool industry. I have mixed feelings about the Chinese arms but after shooting a freind's Polytech M-14, it convinced me it is a sweet reliable rifle, wish I had one. My friend carried an M-14 E2 in Vietnam apx 1968-69 and he claimed his Polytech was much more accurate. Consider it a lucky find, congrats!!!

I'll rub some salt into this one.

$400 out the door, no paperwork, 4 mags 2 loaded, nice case, cleaning kit.

Talked to Jerry again this past Friday and several people came in wanting to grab it after I left.

Saw a Norinco at a gun show Saturday with an ugly commo'd stock for $850.

I did pick up 2 more mags for it.