Military Firearm Restoration Corner

Necking Down 7x57 Or 8mm To 22

That's what the 5.56x57 is, a 7x57 necked down to .22. It feeds liek a mauser should. And, you can get factory ammo. Expensive as all get out though.

With just a modicum of work you can get the .22-250 to feed. certainly less work that rebarreling. Why are you so reluctant to go that route? How much faster do you need to go?

I would think trying to poke a lot of pressure and heat through a 22 size hole would result in a lot of throat erosion. Or consider the 257 Roberts, no feeding problems and fine for varmet or deer size game.

Which brings me back to the 6mm Rem. Bullets as light at 55 grains or as heavy as 105. Virtually no recoil and superb accuracy.

I suspect that El Coyote may already have a 22 cal barrel. In which case, I'd recommend either the 5.56x57 or the .22-250. With the nod going to the .22-250 due to it's being super cheap and easy to find ammo for. A box of 40 rds is a mere $14 at wally world. And with all due respect, it will dispatch a deer with ease.

Although, there are no flies on the 257 Robts either. It is one of my favorites but in this case I believe the 6mm Rem to be a better fit.

I wonder if coyote means he would like a .220 Swift equivalent that would cycle well in a Mauser? I know that several companies make the 5.6x57 dies as well as a .22/6mm Rem(Redding). I don't know if they are the same dimensionally since the 6mm Rem is derived from the 7x57 as well. The .22/6mm sounds like a simple FLR job and the round would be a perfect fit if he's using a Mauser action. Brass is certainly plentiful. If he hasn't bought the barrel blank yet I'd go with Z's rec on the 6mm Rem.

I wish I could recall al the details. I believe it was Frank Barnes author of Cartridges of The World and another, I'm guessing but I think it might have been one of the Hodgdon brothers worked together and built some extreme 22 cal wilcats. Best I remember, barrel life on most were less than a hundred rounds.

If you want to really move a 22 slug at outrageous velocities consider using a sabot round in a 30 cal rifle. I can't say from any first hand knowledge but have heard velocities in excess of 4,000 FPS are possible.

You are right abt the sabot 's in 30 cal... very fast!! But, a good way to shoot your chronograph, cause [in my guns at least] the accuracy sucks!!! At lower velocities it is tolerable.. MV

While the military uses sabots to very good effect, the commercial apllications have been less than stellar. I was looking again at the 6mm rem. Now, I haven't used the light bullets like the 55 grainers, yet, that will soon change, but I noticed a curious thing; the 55 grain 6mm bullet has a better BC than a 55 grain .224" bullet. A 6mm Rem will launch a 55 grain pill at better than 4000 fps. The really fast 22's will not launch a 55 grainer that fast. My 6mms feed as a mauser should, very nicely and with very little effort.

if a .22-250 isn't enough then consider the 6mm rem. In the long run it will be less of a barrel burner than anything faster than a .22-250.

The 22 Newton was the 7X57 with a 90 grain .227/.228 bullet, or at least that what Ackley claims.

Does shooting the heavy .22 bullets increase barrel life? I imagine that less powder would be used because of the heavier slug.

I'm with Z1r on the 6mm Rem... But a long 90 grain .22 slug sure would look "wicked" sticking out of a "X57" case.

Can't help but pipe up now... a while back I inherited a 6mm'06 mauser barrel from a close friend who passed... Darn scoundrel probably knew he was starting me down this tortureous path!!! Anyhow... I wouldn't trade it for either of my 22 250's or even both!! Really is a barn burner, feeds perfect, and boy it is accurate, w/ lighter than 90 gr. bullets... FWIW I would definitely go w/ the 6mm Rem... abt. the same and readily available... MV