Military Firearm Restoration Corner

Dog Digging Up The Yard?

fritz

OUCH!! I cured a dog of digging under a gate by spraying the area with Post Office pepper spray. In my last dog obedience school the instructor told a woman to have her husband pee on the spot the dog was digging. The dog will usually take it as a sign of the territory being marked, avoid it but might start digging elsehwere.

It might be cheating and the dog will probably dig someplace else, but I have lots of cactus!

As to the peeing on the spot, I guess I could try that, but the last time I went outside to pee I got bitten by a snake!

Just kiddin'. BTW, where do I get the post office pepper spray? My carrier drives a 4x4 and does not have to worry about dogs.

fritz

i've taken to burying a bit (ok, a lot) of dog schitt in the hole, covered by a layer of dirt. my little white has her favorite holes, but no more! she might scratch the surface, but gets no further than that! no cactus in my area... but dog schitt, i have an abundance of! my latest tragedy is the other night she was sleeping on the bed with us... and in the morning, a wet spot. i hoped it was just drool or something, but no. it was pee. thankfully it was not super odiferous urine, but it's urine none the less... good thing she's cute, or i'd have ripped her little face off by now.

It might be cheating and the dog will probably dig someplace else, but I have lots of cactus!

I love the easterners that move to Arizona's desert and start watering their Prickly Pears and Saguaros and then wonder why they grow like weeds and the Saguaros fall over from the weight. Even worse when the Cactus Wrens start poking holes the easterners accuse the Az types of shooting holes in it.

As to the peeing on the spot, I guess I could try that, but the last time I went outside to pee I got bitten by a snake!

Sounds like you're bragging!! Are you trying to say the snake was envious of the length??

Just kiddin'. BTW, where do I get the post office pepper spray? My carrier drives a 4x4 and does not have to worry about dogs.

It's available at uniform stores but don't waste your money. Being that old ladys started writing their Congressman and this is no exagguration calling paramedics when the mailman sprayed Fideo the Post Office bowed to the pressure and reduced the active ingrediants. The PO's pepper spray has apx 8-10% (less than 1% total) of the active ingrediant of drug store pepper spray. I can persoanlly vouch for it's effectivness though, on people also. Dogs have a keen sense of smell so it doesn't take alot. When I worked for the PO I went postal and sprayed an old XXXX after he spit tobacco juice in my face. I refused to give him food stamps intended for a dead woman. It took about 4-5 seconds and he was down on his knees. Damm near got me fired as he claimed he was just standing there minding his own business.

fritz

That pepper spray sounds like the stuff my dad carries at work. The company issues it to all its servicemen as a dog/people defense spray (its really just for dogs though). See, when someone knows they're about to get cut off for non payment, they might have a tendency to chain their half-starved, abused, and deranged 150lb rotweiler or pit bull up to their meter to prevent the serviceman from shutting them off. And I'll tell you...I've seen whatever this pepper spray is make a giant rotweiler go "meow!" and run for cover! It's good stuff!

But I don't know where to get it.

That pepper spray sounds like the stuff my dad carries at work. The company issues it to all its servicemen as a dog/people defense spray (its really just for dogs though). See, when someone knows they're about to get cut off for non payment, they might have a tendency to chain their half-starved, abused, and deranged 150lb rotweiler or pit bull up to their meter to prevent the serviceman from shutting them off. And I'll tell you...I've seen whatever this pepper spray is make a giant rotweiler go "meow!" and run for cover! It's good stuff!

But I don't know where to get it.

Any uniform store that caters to police, fire, security and postal should have real pepper spray in stock. Some uniform dealers also sell guns and leather, have police trade-ins and might make the trip worth your time. The brand name of postal pepper spray is called Halt. The stuff sold to police and security is far more effective and much stronger than the postal spray.

The pepper spray is very effective against dogs but you have to get them in the face, preferably in the eyes. I unintentionally got a Boxer in his ear. That dog went nuts and made me feel guilty when I could hear him yelping from the pain a few blocks away. After listening for apx a half an hour I called the Humane Society.

If you live in California you wont need it, the governemnt will protect you so you wont be allowed to buy it for your own good!! I've heard Gumout, oven cleaner, Mr Clean and expanding insulation foam work well in California.