Military Firearm Restoration Corner

Emul8 Things You Will Miss?

ShooterTom

While the subject of moving came up. I was wondering what things you will miss?

So far not much at all for me.

1. In-n-Out Burger

2. My Kids Pediatrician

3. Pico Pica Hot Sauce (had my Sister ship several bottles)

4. Trader Joes

Not enough to ever look back though.

Tom

We spent three years in Tallahasse before moving to NC. I've moved a bit and always had to leave some fond memories...before that last move.

In defense of Tally, some people love it - and that's good!

ShooterTom, that's a good question about what I will miss...though, I don't worry about it too much.

In-and-Out Burger...I haven't ever been there, so I won't miss it...besides, where I am going there will be SONIC!! That's the best as far as I am concerned...I grew up with Sonic drive-ins...it's a good fit!

Trader Joe's...I actually had a momentary panic over this, until I realized that there's a Trader Joe's about 70 miles from where I will be moving, and while that's a serious trip, I will just be certain to pick up all the stuff I could possibly need in one shot at a time! I will have to make do otherwise.

However, I have considered the matter fairly exhaustively and have concluded, like others who have left CA, that the benefits...at least at this point in my life, far outweigh the "sacrifices" I will make.

There are probably some things I haven't thought of yet, but if I can't think of them, maybe they're not all that important!

Trader Joe's is an excellent, happy place! There are very few things that I can get there that I don't enjoy, but when something is bad...it's REALLY bad! LOL!

I like the "Two Buck Chuck" a lot! Come to think of it, if I drank enough of that first, maybe the bad Trader Joe's stuff wouldn't seem so bad after all!

The amount of shopping that I do at Trader Joe's is definitely going to justify my 140 mile round trips to lay in supplies!

I never heard of the Trader Joe's, but am quite familiar with Sonic drive-ins.

When I am in a hurry to get fast food, and there is a Sonic nearby, mrs fritz and I stop in. The theme is the old drive-ins of the 50's (while we were dating, and should give away our age). I liked it then, and I wish I could return to those days (knowing what I know now, of course).

I like the tater tots that Sonic offers, a good alternative to the same old fries that most fast food places offer.

You get your food fast, and it ain't too bad. A little tip to the waitress (on roller skates at some places, not all) and you are on the way again.

Beats the hell out of walking up to a DQ counter and ordering a simple burger, and then having to listen to the spiel that the management has obviously instructed them to do, "You want fries with that? Cheese? jalapeno?.

"No, I want exactly what I ordered!" I am sick of getting that spiel!

I don't remember the old fast food places doing what they do today. But then sometimes it gets hard to remember what I did back in those days. But I never did anything bad enough to get put in jail, and I can't say that for some of my good friends.

But as Curly said in the movie, "The day ain't over yet!"

fritz

donmarkey --

If you go to Trader Joe's I hope that you find the experience as wonderful as I do! I can't say that it will appeal to all tastes, but generally speaking, there is almost always something to try in the store that will hook ya! Just be aware, no matter where I have gone to a Trader Joe's, there are always mega-yuppies stalking the aisles and they feel that they do own the whole damn place!

fritz --

Sonic has always reminded me of a couple of drive-in restaurants that were in OKC when I was growing up...only with Sonic, the food is more consistent as is the service. And three words: Diet Cherry Limeades!

I have heard that there are Sonic restaurants in Bakersfield, CA but I haven't gone up that way recently enough to find out. Even if there are, it still isn't enough to keep me here in CA!!

EmuL8, You crack me up you hit the nail on the head about Trader Joe's.

First being if something is bad. It's really BAD. Very true!

Second, "there are always mega-yuppies stalking the aisles and they feel that they do own the whole damn place!"

The closest to me was the Huntington Beach store. It was full of the Huntington Harbor crowd. You know the type's, In their 50s. That look as though they are walking in a wind tunnel because they have had so many face lifts.

I cracked open my last case of Two Buck Chuck Cabernet. I meter it out like it is liquid gold. lol

I have found Sonic, while not In n Out pretty good stuff. An Orange Cream Slush will set things right. Like you fritz I prefer the tots too, over fries. But hey ive always been a "tots" man wink.gif

Tom

ShooterTom --

Do you drink a lot of the Cabernet at a time? Or, I guess what I am asking is how long a case lasts you. Maybe if it lasts for a while you can find a TJ's closer to you and be able to replenish your supply of TBC before you run out.

How close are you to Santa Fe, New Mexico? LOL! That's the TJ's I will be going to, and is the only one in New Mexico currently. I would think that TJ's would do very well in TX...I wonder why they aren't there...maybe they will be one day! Hope springs eternal!

Back when my Dad still lived in OK (a dry state), he used to travel to NM to visit my sister and to buy alcohol instead of paying the state stores' outrageous prices. I mean the man bought cases and cases of beer and wine at a time!

With TBC you would definitely get more bang for your two bucks in cases! Plus, you could pick up a cheesecake to give you a nice sugar high for the drive home! LOL!

I haven't been to the Huntington Beach TJ's, but as I have been to about 10 different stores all over CA, I can totally imagine the Huntington Harbor crowd you mentioned...and your "wind tunnel" descriptor is spot on...that cracked me up!!

As for Sonic's tater tots...I never gave it much thought, but is there anyplace else that has 'em? I usually have to be in the mood for tater tots, but I'll tell you, right now, at almost 1AM, they sure sound good!

Hi, Emul8 my case of TBC will last me awhile. I mostly like wine in the cooler parts of the year. So Im not drinking much now. Santa Fe would be a long hall from Grapevine I think. The Cheese cake might make it worth it though cool.gif The only place I ever seen Tots is Sonic but who knows?

I have another tid bit of moving advice. Find your S.S. Card right now and protect it with your life! If NM is anything like Texas you will not be able to take a Pee without it when you first move.

Tom