Military Firearm Restoration Corner

Treasure Trove Of Computer Information, Zarqawi

FC

I heard that a thumb drive was found in Zarqawi's pocket. God is answering prayer, and it's not the prayers of Zarqawi.

Yahoo News

BAGHDAD, Iraq - Iraq's national security adviser said Thursday a "huge treasure" of documents and computer records was seized after the raid on terror leader Abu Musab al-Zarqawi's hideout, giving the Iraqi government the upper hand in its fight against al-Qaida in Iraq.

ADVERTISEMENT

National Security Adviser Mouwafak al-Rubaie also said he believed the security situation in the country would improve enough to allow a large number of U.S.-led forces to leave Iraq by the end of this year, and a majority to depart by the end of next year. "And maybe the last soldier will leave Iraq by mid-2008," he said.

Al-Rubaie said a laptop, flashdrive and other documents were found in the debris after the airstrike that killed the al-Qaida in Iraq leader last week outside Baqouba, and more information has been uncovered in raids of other insurgent hideouts since then.

He called it a "huge treasure ... a huge amount of information."

When asked how he could be sure the information was authentic, al-Rubaie said "there is nothing more authentic than finding a thumbdrive in his pocket."

"We believe that this is the beginning of the end of al-Qaida in Iraq," al-Rubaie said, adding that the documents showed al-Qaida is in "pretty bad shape," politically and in terms of training, weapons and media.

"Now we have the upper hand," he said at a news conference in Baghdad. "We feel that we know their locations, the names of their leaders, their whereabouts, their movements, through the documents we found during the last few days."

Iraqi Prime Minister Nouri al-Maliki, meanwhile, pressed forward with his initiative to crack down on violence in Baghdad. Government forces fanned out across Baghdad for a second day, setting up checkpoints and frisking motorists.

Al-Maliki has promised the crackdown would not target any ethnic or sectarian group.

Yahoo News

BAGHDAD, Iraq - American and Iraqi forces have carried out 452 raids since last week's killing of terrorist leader Abu Musab al-Zarqawi, and 104 insurgents were killed during those actions, the U.S. military said Thursday.

ADVERTISEMENT

Maj. Gen. William Caldwell, a U.S. military spokesman in Baghdad, said the raids were carried out nationwide and led to the discovery of 28 significant arms caches.

He said 255 of the raids were joint operations, while 143 were carried out by Iraqi forces alone. The raids also resulted in the captures of 759 "anti-Iraqi elements

BBC

The killing of Abu Musab al-Zarqawi marks the "beginning of the end" of al-Qaeda in Iraq, the country's national security adviser has said.

Mowaffaq al-Rubaie said the seizure of documents after the raid that killed Zarqawi provided key information about the militant group and its leaders.

"Now we have the upper hand," he told a news conference in Baghdad.

Zarqawi, the former al-Qaeda leader in Iraq, was killed last week by a US air strike near Baquba, north of Baghdad.

Mr Rubaie said a pocket hard drive, a laptop and documents were found in the debris after the strike.

The documents and records revealed the names and whereabouts of other al-Qaeda in Iraq leaders, he said, adding that more information has since been found in raids on other insurgent hideouts.

"We believe that this is the beginning of the end of al-Qaeda in Iraq," Mr Rubaie said.

"They did not anticipate how powerful the Iraqi security forces are and how the government is on the attack now."

Baghdad crackdown

One of the documents showed Zarqawi planned to widen the rift between the US and Iran by carrying out attacks on US interests falsely attributed to Iran, the prime minister's office said.

The news comes on the second day of tough new security measures that have been put in place in Baghdad amid fears al-Qaeda in Iraq is preparing new attacks after Zarqawi's killing.

Zarqawi's successor, named as Abu Hamza al-Mujahid, has reportedly vowed to defeat "crusaders and Shias" in Iraq.

Tens of thousands of Iraqi and US security forces have been deployed across the capital. Citizens have been stopped and frisked at checkpoints as police enforce a ban on weapons, causing long delays on the roads.

There were noticeably fewer reports of violence in Baghdad than usual, though a chemicals worker was reported to have been shot dead in the west of the city.

I think that all the info found on Zarqawi should be returned to his family unread.

This is a violation of his rights under the first amendment.

I further contend that the USG should pay reparations to his friend Benny for pain and suffering.

Karl of the ACLU

Guest Guest_karlunity_*
I always wondered if you were an ACLU type, being from Calif.

FC.

It is worse than that. I am from NYC and living in Cal.

But alas the ACLU may strike me from the rolls.

Being able to read and think disqualifies one for membership.

All liberal types are supposed to "FEEL" their way through life

and accept with out question the teaching of good ole Karl Marx.

Take care

Karl

Karl,

You and the Hippy been making your own wine again? Man, you need to go back that good Marine Corp Red you was telling us about. That S--t you been brewing is killing your brain cells. I know you been hoping to get your's down to a manageable size but Dude you need to ease off! Next thing you'll be voting Hillary for Pres. and Bill as Secretary of Sex Education!

Swamprat

Guest Guest_karlunity_*

Hello Swamprat.

Well, I have been drinking beer from the health food store.

It is very "natural". That cannot be "bad".

As for Hill, well it is "her turn". I am sure that she would do for the nation what she did for Arkansas, just look at their school system..

Surely you must concede that her record of care and public service is unique and she would have the wisdom of dear Bill to council her.

I understand that Bill is already interviewing interns, what a supportive fella!

The Clintons back in the White house, such roll modals for our youth.

Secy Gen Annan. and the UN stand firm behind her and She could bring the INVINIBLE French Army in on our side.

Clo Karl

HUM...I think it is time to return to Pabst and hot dogs.