Military Firearm Restoration Corner

Caliber For Match Rifle

Guest RooterTooterShooter

Guest RooterTooterShooter

My current project is a match rifle for NRA High Power match shooting built on a Vz24 action. I've got the adjustable match stock, welded on the extended length bolt handle, and now it's time to order the barrel. I've narrowed my caliber choices down to two - .308 or 6.5x55 Swede. I'd somewhat prefer to use .308, but I know that smooth feeding can be tricky to acheive in the 98 Mauser with this round. This is of critical importance for the rapid fire stages of the National Match course. I'm assuming this will be a non issue with the 6.5 x55. Am I correct? Also, I'm planning on ordering my barrel from Walther Lothar. Woody (the guy from Walther Lothar who answered my email inquiry) said that their standard 6.5x55 barrel is set up to shoot European bullets, which are a slightly different diameter from the domestic .264 bullets, and that if I wanted optimal accuracy using domestic bullets (Sierrra, Hornady, etc) I'd need to pay $100 more to get a custom bore diameter. Does this sound right? Any feedback appreciated.

I'd go with the 6.5x55 as it will cause you less fatigue. As to the barrel, you most likely confused custom chamber with bore. The art 72X barrels are throated for the longer bullets and often to achive the optimal accuracy you MAY benefit from a shorter leade. Several here have the LW barrels and are shooting some fine groups.

That said, a buddy of mine did notice a big improvement in accuracy when he had a custom reamer made with a shorter throat.

TooterShooter-

I considered a project like yours, but found that (at least on the '09s) the Lyman aperture site covered part of the stripper clip guide. Which is mandatory for the rapid fire section. I'm hoping you've come up with a solution to this problem?

As to bore diameter, my Project #2, a Lothar Walther Art. 724, just shot a .9" three shot group at 200 yards in the Hunting Rifle class of our club competition. This was best group of class, and sub 1/2 MOA.

I was using Hornady A-Max 140 grainers, so I don't think bore size is a problem.

Now... sad as I am to admit it, this rifle, 6.5x55, does not feed all that well. Despite a Swede follower, the fifth round is reluctant to join its brothers in the magazine. And it looks to me as if a few rounds would prefer to jump out of the magazine, to be pushed into the chamber, rather than slide under the extractor.

This has never been a problem, but then I'm not shooting Match Rifle, either.

I applaud you in your project, TooterShooter, and hope you can make a successful Mauser Match Rifle.

Perhaps we can learn from you?

flaco

My personal very biased opinion is that the 6.5 x 55 (with those beautiful 140 gr AMax bullets that Hornady makes) will outperform the 308 at all potential ranges.

The Swedes I've chambered in former 8 x 57 actions feed all five without second thought.

Regarding the bore diameter, I'd trust Woody and would consider the $100 well spent.

I've been looking at building a tactical / longer range rifle in 6.5mm and was planning on using a Lothar Walther barrel. I haven't decided on which chambering I am going to use but Lothar Walther lists their 6.5-55 barrels as having a land diameter of 0.256 and a groove diameter of 0.265. they list all their other 6.5 chamberings as having a land diameter of 0.254 and a groove diameter of 0.264. As has been mentioned all other chamberings are more expensive.

TooterShooter-

I considered a project like yours, but found that (at least on the '09s) the Lyman aperture site covered part of the stripper clip guide. Which is mandatory for the rapid fire section. I'm hoping you've come up with a solution to this problem?

I have a Williams sight (I think it's a 5D). Williams also offers their FP98TK with "target knobs". My 5D DOES NOT interfere with the clip guide. I cannot say whether the FP series does or doesn't, but it would be worth a look.

IPB Image