Military Firearm Restoration Corner

Bold Trigger And Mn

gun nutty

Someone a while back had posted about modifying an MN to use a Bold trigger.

IPB Image

I was interested about any follow-ups and whether there where any "negatives" to this modification.

The trigger extensions were ground-off the reciever.

A modified sear was installed.

A hole was drilled and tapped for the forward screw.

The safety was bent outward to clear the reciever?

Will the sear serve as an effective bolt stop as well?

• 3 years later...

This is a very old post. I did this back in about 2004 and posted it on another forum. I did modify a bold trigger to work on a mosin. I made a new sear that was taller. The sear did work as a bolt stop. I did shoot it some but never really used the gun. I never could get the trigger/safety to fail, but I never would trust it. It was a good idea. It just needed more refinement.

I have some pics of that conversion. Nice work on the sear.

The only issue that I see with the modification is that the Mauser sear was never designed to work as a bolt stop. For a target rifle, it may be a neat conversion; for a sporting arm, another means of halting rearward slide of the bolt must be found.

The damnedest thing is that with the MN design, with the position of the locking lugs and bolts guides on the top and bottom, there is really no place to put an alternate bolt stop. If the lugs were in the "standard" position in the receiver, you could tap a hole in the rear bridge and insert a screw for one of the lugs to hit; the top and bottom guides preclude this. I see no place place to put a bolt stop other than where it currently resides.

There is SOME room left when the Bold unit replaces the existing sear, but it's not much.

I still have the gun. I will have to dig it out when I go back to my Parents. I haven't used it in a long time since it was flooded. If I remember correctly the sear worked as a bolt stop and I had to remove the trigger to get the bolt out. Post a picture of the conversion I lost them also in the flood. I'm sure its the one I did because I searched the internet long and hard and never found anything. Mosin Nagants would be great hunting rifles if it wasn't for the safety position. I wish Timney or Bold would take the Idea and refine it. I know its possible to do because I made it work.

From the PA lady at Timney - they are coming out with a Mosin Trigger with a side safety. I emailed back in September, & she said it would be released late fall, so obviosuly they've run into some snags. I'll try to dig up the email when i get access to my work email.