Military Firearm Restoration Corner

Shorting Action

The coyote

On a 98, if you shorten the action more than 5/8", you'll need to modify the extractor. At 5/8' or less, the extractor will still be forward of the safety lug. Look at this and see what I'm talking about.

If you're going to weld-up the extractor (shorten it), then I have no clue as to "how low you can go".

The 1" mark would clear up the left receiver thumb-notch.

I'd also be sure and measure the overall length of every part 3 times. What is taken off of one part needs to be matched on the others as well. A dial caliper would be swell.

Dunno...

Coyote, I'm sorry. At the risk of coming across as a snotty ass, I've got to speak up. Try using some punctuation and form some complete sentences! It is truly painful to attempt to decipher your posts, and it really hurts your credibility.

There, I got it off my chest. Having said that, I look forward to hearing more about your very ambitious project, and wish you the best of luck.

Coyote, I'm sorry. At the risk of coming across as a snotty ass, I've got to speak up. Try using some punctuation and form some complete sentences!

Snob! :)

Coyote: Biggest problem I saw was you needed a bit of detail. Not everyone's the greatest linguist; I'd throw myself in that group too. I find starting a new line at each new "thought" helps me follow along better as I type.

In solidarity, I'm intentionally leaving the period off of the end of this sentence