Military Firearm Restoration Corner

03-A3 barrels

TLynn

Rustybore

(6/3/05 19:48)

Reply 03-A3 barrels

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Are the two groove barrels worth using on a Mauser action. I have the opportunity to buy a couple and was thinking of using one for a 308. The barrels are dated 43-44, one Smith Corona, the others Remington. Also one Remington 4 groove.

I'm sure this has been addressed before, but......

Kevin in Or.

z1r

(6/3/05 22:03)

Reply Re: 03-A3 barrels

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

In a word, yes. If they are inexpensive enough as there is some work to be done to fit them. They have the reputation as being good shooters. It used to be a very common way to rebarrel mausers, using both the 2 groove & 4 groove bbls.

rickrote

(6/9/05 9:58)

That is exactly what the Chilean Army did in the 60s. They took 1903 barrels, rethreaded, and rechambered for 308. The 2 I have shoot pretty good for open sights.

stevenjay1

(6/10/05 12:11)

When I was in high School (mid 60's) I worked as a apprentice to a gunsmith. As a side project, I build a hunting rifle using a German 98K action with a two groove Remington 03A3 barrel and chambered it for .308 Winchester. It will hold a 3/4" group at 100 yards with 165 grain bullets. It is still the rifle I take for most hunting trips. Nuf said. Steve

Edited by: stevenjay1 at: 6/10/05 12:12