Military Firearm Restoration Corner

"blue Baby"

Anybody have a "Fry Baby"? I ran across a seldom used one that my wife brought into the marriage during our recent move and I got to thinking that it might be handy for blueing small parts. Can these things heat up enough for hot salts blueing?

I have thought about the same thing before, I have been meaning to try it just havent gotten around to it. I picked up the bigger fry daddy at a garage sale for $2 it's temp control goes from 240-375. Bluing salts are usually in the 270-290 range so it should work.

I have thought about the same thing before, I have been meaning to try it just havent gotten around to it. I picked up the bigger fry daddy at a garage sale for $2 it's temp control goes from 240-375. Bluing salts are usually in the 270-290 range so it should work.

A Lee lead pot will do, it'll even nitre blue.

The electric fry pots are usually made from aluminum that has been coated with a baked-on, non-stick coating(paint). Blueing salts commonly contain sodium hydroxide(lye) which vigorously attacks aluminum and will erode even baked-on finishes. I would be concerned the solution would attack the finish and make its way to the base metal. A cheap cast iron pot on a hotplate would work fine and hold up to the salts.

I think the Lee lead pot may well be cheaper even than a hot plate and skillet. It is pefect for small parts. A friend uses one in his day to day business for screws, bolt shrouds and other such items. he has one set aside for nitre bluing and another for caustic.

The gas fish cooker burners, espcially the high pressure jet burner type, work fine for hot bluing. I have a set of tanks for each the cleaner, the salts, and the boil out on a pair of these fryers.

One burner with a half tank on it works for small parts and saves salts. Here is a sample of one of my homemade tanks over a pair of jet burners---

IPB Image

fritz