Military Firearm Restoration Corner

Blogging

roscoedoh

I'm gonna blog a little here and I hope it don't bother nobody. I have a couple things to get off my chest and I hope I don't bother anyone.

The past week has a been great! My best bud is back from land nav training at Ft. Riley, KS and my oldest and bestest friend is in from Okinawa, Japan on emergency leave from the Marines.

Since I have been in such great company, I have of course had cause for celebration. Not only is our beloved country going to be a year older, but also, another good friend - Rob - also got married this weekend. This left much cause for celebration.

However, tonight, I heard something that hurt me and almost broke my heart; tonight my best and oldest friend told me that I was better than he. He told me that I was better than he due to the choices I've made since I went to college instead of joining the service. He seems to think himself lesser a man since he doesn't have a four year degree. Ok, I *may* throw my degree around in certain company; but all things equal, my degree has nothing to do with my occupation and I absolutely reject the notion that someone who is serving my country is better than I am because he didn't go to college. That's not fair! Jarod has been to Iraq and seen good friends killed by IED's. He's been to Thailand, Korean, Afhganistan, and Japan - all because that's where Uncle Sam sent him. He's been shot at, people have tried to blow him up, and he's stood guard against the evil in this world - all so I could sleep safetly at night. And he is convinced that I'm somehow better than he is?

I have known him since the 5th grade and may likely be buried next to him when I die. He is my oldest and bestest friend. And he looked me in the eyes tonight and told me that because of the life choices I've made in life that I'm better off than him. Horseshit! I reject that notion and will not accept his logic. He still has the choice to do college when he gets out in two years and then he will be an "equal" to me (supposedly?). I can't convice him of that; but such is the outsider's view. I had to pay my way through school with loans and credit cards. I have never and will never think of myself as better than anyone. And for my best friend to tell me that I am better than he hurts. I am not...but I can't convice him of it...and that's bothering the hell out of me.

Sure he and I may chosen different paths in life. But I will not accept that I am better than he. I will not! and I will take an oath on my honor on that!

Roscoedoh it is clear and simple, your buddy is homesick. Hang in there with him, he will get over it and 20 years from now he will tell you about the expreience you missed. I can't think of anybody I know or known that later regreted their military service.

Guest Guest_karlunity_*

He has run into a class of people called "officers".

While many are fine people, some are only called "sir" because they wear a bar, and the only reason they do is that they went to college.

This tends to annoy the NCOs.

Tell him to take classes. the military has a program.

Don't worry as was said above, 20 years from now, he will be glad he enlisted.

karl

I didn't feel that anyone was better than me when I got out, but for a long time I felt like I was 4 years behind my peers. When I became a foreman I suddenly understood the advantage I could not have gotten in school. Coming home on leave I saw friends starting careers and beginning their lives, buying houses and cars and such. I don't know about now, but E-3 pay didn't go too far when I was one. I was happy for my friends with homes, vehicles, and toys, but they were out of my reach and I felt a bit left out. After spending 10 long months on ship, most of it waiting for the beach landing in Kuwait that never happened, my brains were scrambled eggs. I bet it is much harder to feel your place at home when you have been gone much longer and spent time in far more dangerous places than a smelly old ship.

Fellas,

I never thought to look at this from a homesick point of view. It makes a lot of sense; especially when you consider the reason he's home on leave is because his grandpa passed away last week. Furthermore, he's going into his third year out in Okinawa and he doesn't get back to Texas much.

I have done my damnedest to be a good friend and we've been out partying every night we've been able to. I hope he's having a good time. (He and that redhead he was dancing with last night sure looked like they were having a good time...)

It just shook me real hard last night when he told me what he told me. Still does...

But I think you guys are right. And thank you for putting my mind at ease.

Jason