Military Firearm Restoration Corner

Greek Garand Restoration

I have just returned from an Odessey to CMP south. I picked up 1 RG Win, 1 RG SA, and 1 FG SA 6 Digit, and a Correct Grade HRA. MW/TE ranges from the 2s on the Win and 6 digit SA to 3+/4 1/2+ on the RG SA. The CG HRA comes out at slightly less than 2 on both ends.

For the past 4 days or so, I have been working on the stocks.

2 stocks have WW2 cartouches, SA/GAW and SA/EMF, with ord wheels. One stock is an Overton replacement stock, no markings anywhere.

I have finished the WW2 stocks in 1 coat of BLO to make the cartouches visible, as they are very faint. The Overton is finished in 3 coats(so far) of MinWay Wipe-on Poly. The Overton is the best looking one of the bunch, but they all have some nice grain. I need to apply a couple more coats of BLO to the stocks, and use a little steel wool.

In a few days I will start the metal refinishing, and I will post pics when that is done.

post-13-1151985097_thumb.jpg

post-13-1151985110_thumb.jpg

That's a nice haul of nice Mausers. If that's a GI stock on the bottom, its the nicest one I've every seen.

I keep thinking that I should order one of the Greek Rack grades for "redoing" purposes before they run out of them.