Military Firearm Restoration Corner

1917 action/1914 bolt

TLynn

TAMU90DVM

(6/9/05 16:27)

Reply 1917 action/ 1914 bolt

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

(also posted on AR forum)

I have a 1917 Remington action (partially sporterized) with a shot out barrel. I want to use it for a 416 Rem Mag or larger. I have a P14 bolt. If I order a prethreaded and chambered barrel, do I order one for a P14 so the breach is non-coned? Are the threads the same on the 1914 and the 1917?

I know this is not an easy conversion and I may not be able to do it but I would still like to know the answer to the question?

thanks,

Scott

z1r

(6/9/05 16:38)

Reply Re: 1917 action/ 1914 bolt

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Can I ask a really stupid question, why not just get a 1917 bolt?

I don't think that pre-threaded & chambered barrels are available at least not like they are for the mauser. If I'm not mistaken they both have square threads but I'm not sure if they are the same of not. I bet Ty would know.

Edited by: z1r at: 6/9/05 16:42

TAMU90DVM

(6/9/05 16:59)

I have a 1917 bolt also. I am just trying to figure out if it is more work to open up the face on the 1917 or deal with the whole coned/non-coned mess.

roscoedoh

(6/9/05 17:38)

Aside from the coned breech mess, give Woody at Lothar Walther a call and see if it is possible to purchase a pre-threaded barrel from them. As many big boomers are built on Enfields, I would be surprised if they couldn't do a barrel for you.

Otherwise, if all else fails, you might let a gunsmith mount the barrel for you and then do everything else yourself. That's about where I'm at with my projects right now.

Also, are you still down around TAMU?

Jason

Stephen F. Austin State University Class of 2005!

sonic1

(6/9/05 18:34)

treads are the BUT model 1917 tread shank is .800 were a

p-14 is only .720 ...added a pic

img.villagephotos.com/p/2...ldsxxx.JPG

Edited by: sonic1 at: 6/9/05 19:11

TAMU90DVM

(6/9/05 19:29)

I am in the Dallas area now.

Thanks sonic1 - the picture was worth 1000 words - answered all my questions.

I think ER Shaw does prethreaded and chambered barrels for the enfield but I am not sure if any of the high quality makers do.

z1r

(6/9/05 22:26)

That's shank Length, diameter is the same. It stands to reason that the p17 is longer as it is coned. Not knowing these that well I would speculate that if you used the P14 bolt you would simply thread a barrel as you would a p14 barrel.

IMHO, it would be about as easy to use the p17. One thing I do know is that the p14 bolt will accomodate a much larger rim than the p17. So if really big cases are in your future you may want to save the p14 bolt.

roscoedoh

(6/10/05 2:00)

The P14 was designed for the .303 cartridge which has a head size of around .532" if I recall. Anywho, the other night I dug out a 300 Win Mag cartridge and put it back to back with a .303 and they were really pretty darn close. Since the .416 Rem Mag is based on the same cartridge the 300 Win Mag was based on, you might try and load a magnum cartridge into the P14 bolt and see if it fits. If it does, it may save you a little work down the road. May also help decide which bolt to use and how to install the barrel.

Just something I thought of.

Jason

Stephen F. Austin State University Class of 2005!

TAMU90DVM

(6/10/05 7:04)

I did try a 458 magnum in the P14 bolt and it fits. The thing about using the 1917 bolt is that since it has a 45 degree slope on the forward face of the left (or top) lug - it leaves very little metal to hold the rim once you open it up. On the other hand the coned breach should make it easy to feed once you get the round out of the magazine.

z1r

(6/10/05 8:59)

"The thing about using the 1917 bolt is that since it has a 45 degree slope on the forward face of the left (or top) lug - it leaves very little metal to hold the rim once you open it up."

If you had a p17 bolt in hand you would see that this is true only of very large rims, at least those larger than the .532" rim of the H&H derived magnum. For those really big cases it could become an issue as you described but also more practically you loose the cartridge guides that the ends of the bevel provide. Much like the Yugo mausers don't have those two liitle nubs by the extractor slot. they can sometimes be problematic when it comes to feeding.

Since you already ave the p14 and apparently the bolt face is already about the right size for the magnum rim then I'd probably use it and cut the barrel like it was going on a P14. The only thing I see as potentially problematic is the extractor. Makes sure it will provide a tight enough grip. the rim of the .303 might be thicker than that of the magnum. In which case you may need to either build it up or use the p17 extractor if it fits.

TAMU90DVM

(6/10/05 10:47)

I posed this question to a guy at ER Shaw and his reply was to order a 1914 barrel if I use the 1914 bolt and order a 1917 barrel if I use the 1917 bolt (not that I will necessarily order a barrel from them). He confirmed that they do offer prethreaded and chambered (even short chambered) barrels for the 1917 & P14 in a variety of calibers.

The more I look at the coned breach the more I like it so I will probably just open the face on the 1917 bolt.

Scott

z1r

(6/10/05 12:10)

In my limited experience it appears that the P17 extractor is large too, something I'd personally feel better about if constructing a DG rifle. .416 rem ought to be nice or perhaps the .458 lott.

Are you going to convert it to cock on open or leave it as-is?

Did you ever see this Enfield: forums.accuratereloading....r=37110094

There was another Tom did on the Hollowellco.com website once. He is very adept at building nice Enfields.

TAMU90DVM

(6/10/05 15:17)

I thought about cock on open but then I read an opinion that cock on close was not a bad thing on a DG rifle - easier to lift the bolt handle and extract the brass. I'm still undecided.

That is one beautiful rifle in the link you provided. I hope to have a lot of the features it has. I don't mind the military safety and I don't know that I will change the bottom metal as much as they did. I am thinking about geting a barrel band rear sight with a 2nd recoil lug from NECG rather than the peep sight. Will certainly have quick release scope mounts. Probably NECG front sight ramp with flip up ivory bead for low light. Plan to get the best walnut I can reasonable afford with ebony tip and red recoil pad.