Military Firearm Restoration Corner

Building A Tanker Garand

I decided to convert a Rack Grade Greek to a 308 Tanker, as the original barrel was shot, totally gone. A MW of 4+, and a TE of about 7 1/2.

I ordered a Tanker kit from Numrich. Kit is preparked, and has everything in it.

Last night I installed the barrel. I had to take just a little, probably about .001" off the shoulder to get it to about the proper position for the final draw. The last little bit was tough.

Today my Pull Through Reamer arrived from Midway. Which necessitated a run to the nearest Hardware store. I needed a tap handle. Midway uses a rod threaded on one end for the reamer rod. The muzzle end is basically blank rod about .285". Slightly too big for my existing tap handles. So I had to purchase a 1/4" - 1/2" tap handle. Installing it on the reamer rod was simple, except that it had to be tightened up with a wrench to keep the rod from slipping/turning in the tap handle.

I brushed some cutting oil on the reamer and went to work. It was a matter of about 3 minutes and the bolt dropped into place. I cleaned out the cuttings and checked the head space. Bolt goes about 1/2 way down with the No Go gauge in the chamber.

I put everything together and tried working the action.

The bolt wouldn't lock open. The recoil spring is a shortened standard Garand spring about 16 1/8" long. I cut two coils off the spring, and still had the same problem. Then I noticed that built up weld on the follower rod was hitting the op rod spring opening. oops! (The kit uses a modified follower, with a built up area about 1" or so from the first bend). A few strokes with a file and voila, the bolt will lock back. So far, so good.

I load, or attempt to load clip of dummies, but they will only go in about 1/2 way. It appears the spring is compressed too much to allow the clip to load.

Okay, cut two more coils off. Clip loads, everything works when cycled by hand, clip ejects well. Cool! Maybe my first "oops" wasn't such an oops after all.

Now, off to the range on Friday, sight in all my new Garands and the Tanker.

I think I will get a Tanker spring from Midway, and a Prospring Extra Power set from Brownells. See which one will work better if fine tuning is needed.

Now for a stock. I have it in a spare Greek Beech set.