Military Firearm Restoration Corner

Home Made Bore Cleaner

karlunity

Fellas.

I have been paying 30 bucks a jar for bore cleaner.

The mix I found seems to work a bit better.

With it I removed carbon from a rifle bore I believed clean.

On caution, I don't yet know if it would work will corrosive primers.

You might still want to run a patch of Windex or warm water through the bore.

Ogre’s Open Source CLP

"Horde CLP version 1.1"

Very simple with only 3 components. It’s easier to make than Ed’s Red and you don’t have to mix in any melted wax to make it lube and protect better either.

2 parts CASTROL GTX START UP. This oil has polarized molecules that allow the oil to stick to the metal better. This gives better lubrication and protection. 3 bucks at Checkers locally.

1 part B-12 Chemtool. You can buy this and the oil at your local NAPA or CHECKERS or AUTOZONE parts store. The B-12 can be had in small cans and that’s all you need. The B-12 contains high energy solvents that clean your gun very well and very fast. Carbon fouling has no chance. It did great on the lead fouling in my old Remington .22 too. In the mixture it wont melt your plastic parts or damage the finish on your stocks… at least not that I have found in my testing. If you don't use this for your car or truck, you are missing out... this stuff is awesome for cleaning your carburetor and injectors or any greasy parts.

1 part Kerosene. This will thin the oil, and stabilize the B-12 to allow for a good mixture. You can find this at ACE hardware or other such store for just a couple bucks. You probably have some for your Coleman Lanterns or portable heaters or for use in cleaning autoparts and stuff.

You don’t need much and only mix up as much as you are going to use… “1 part” can be a table spoon full and that will do you just fine. This is stuff you might have in your garage already. B-12 is great stuff and I use it on my truck and Jeeps all the time. Kerosene you might already have around too. If you don’t have the GTX Start Up, you can use Mobil 1 if you like. I like the 5W. Anyways, if you already have this stuff in your garage, mixing some up for your guns wont cost you a thing. I've tested this in my guns and it works great. My Beretta Cougar and Detonics love it. The Mak loves it. The Marlin likes it when I use a thin coat on the bolt... Just mix a little as you need it and you will never have to spend money on gun care products ever again.

Now, this is Open Source... means I give you the recipe for free, and you can use it as you like as long as you give credit to MadOgre.com. You can also change and alter the formula as you like... And if you find a mix that works better - send it in so it can be posted and the main formula can be updated."

Fellas for about 10 bucks, I would seem to have enough bore cleaner for the rest of my life.

Karl

Homemade Ed's Red is some good stuff too. Dad makes it up by the gallon and we've cleaned many a gun with it at the range.

Clean guns for everyone!

IIRC Ed's red is equal parts Dextron III ATF (hence the red), acetone, mineral spirits and kerosine as in the recipe above. You can also add some lanolin to make it easier on the hands, but that stuff is expensive and my hands are already beyond hope. I make it in a 1 gallon gas can. Lasts a loooong time.

The home chemist can pretty much make what he needs for bore cleaning at a fraction of the cost of commercial products.

Neither of these is going to go after copper, but thats what ammonia is for. Just don't leave it on for too long.

An expensive bore cleaning product that I wouldn't be without, especially when first fixing up milsurps is Wipe-Out. Its a foam that you spray in and leave overnight. It gets copper and an amazing amount of other goo out of the worst barrel. Bad bores take several rounds, but it really gets everything and is much less work, and many fewer patches than J&B.

Dad also makes some homemade Sweets 7.62 super duper copper fouling eater. I *think* its equal parts of sudsy ammonia and dawn dish soap. DO NOT leave this in the bore any longer than 5-10 mins.

We usually run 3-4 wet patchs of Sweets down the bore to break things up and leave it sit for 5-10 mins. Then we'll run 5-8 patches of Ed's Red down the bore to clean the homemade Sweets out along with the copper fouling, dirt, etc. Accompanied by a couple dry patches. Then, if the bore is clean enough, a patch saturated with gun oil.

All patches pushed through with the appropriate jag. About the only time I use a (nylon) brush is when I want to clean lead out of a handgun or cosmoline out of a barrel.