Military Firearm Restoration Corner

Flaco's stock

TLynn

montea6b

(6/2/05 20:40)

Flaco's stock

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

One of the first signs that something was wrong with this board was when I failed 3 times in a row to post a comment on the photos Flaco posted of his stock.

Beautiful wood, and exquisite craftsmanship! Sharp edges do look good. Was that the same stock featured in your "debut image" post a while back?

Oh, yeah... the fine northwest ale. I didn't even notice at first as my eyes were glazed over admiring the stock. Thanks for pointing it out. A refreshing and appropriate reward for a job well done.

flaco

(6/2/05 21:39)

Reply Re: Flaco's stock

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Actually, Monty, this is the stock for Project #2.

user posted image

It's moving along, slowly, as these things do: I've wet sanded a couple more times, the most recent with tung oil and #600.

user posted image

If you look at the better custom rifle sites, you'll notice that most recently some of the guys seem to be obsessing on sharp edges on the flutes.

user posted image

And yes, that's one of my favorite Washington exports.

flaco

montea6b

(6/2/05 22:14)

Ah, the pictures are back!

Thanks for the inspiration.

rebel49

(6/3/05 20:36)

Flaco:

Can you post Sovern's formula and procedure for the thinned varnish prep of the stock? Since we lost the archives and I can't remember it, I need it.

Rebel49

Bt the way beautiful stock!!!!!!!!!

30 06va

(6/10/05 20:50)

This one and the stock in "Debut Image" are Super!! I seem to remember you talking about rust blueing in one of your post,if so could I ask where you got your info. for your method. The blue showing in Debut Image was stunning. Thanks