Military Firearm Restoration Corner

S & W Model 63

littlecanoe

I was having a local welder do some bolt work today and of course the conversation turned to guns. He was telling me that he has a Model 63 .22 stainless with 4" barrel that was purchased in the late 70's. The curiosity about this gun is that the frame had a double hit when the S & W logo was stamped into it. It's like the logo has a shadow logo. Any idea what such a monster would be worth? It's got to be an unusual pistol with very few like it.

LC

The model 63, introduced in 1977, is simply the model 34 made of stainless steel. Prices range from $150 to $350.

Swamprat

I assure you that any Model 63 Priced at less than $350 is a rare bird indeed. The real world facts on these little revolvers are that they are long-discontinued by S&W and that they command a price premium whenever you can find one. The only Model 63 available on Gunsamerica.com is going for $395. There are several shown on Gunbroker.com. One with 6 days left on the auction has been bid up to $399. Another is starting at $500.

The double strike on this particular gun is just an example of sloppy 1970's manufacture. It would have to appeal to a very tiny contingent of off-beat collectors to be recognized as anything else. This business ain't like collecting stamps.

For what it's worth, I have a square-butt 4" Model 63 that is my fishing, bush-hogging, hunting companion. It is not as accurate as a K-frame, but it is a very nice revolver in its own right, and I carry mine frequently.

Clemson

Guest Guest

Swampy,

Clemson is right on and so too could you be. It all depends on where you shop.

Anyway, they are nice little guns.

Clemson and I don't always see eye to eye but I have a great deal of respect for him and in all our discussions, some of them heated, I don't recall him ever being beligerent or a troublemaker. One thing is for sure, he posts because he thinks it may help. Can't fault a man for that.

I think maybe a nice cold beer is in order, I'll have one for you. :-)