Military Firearm Restoration Corner

Mosin..mauser ..enfield 303..about Equal.

karlunity

Now I know we have our Mauser men and our Mosin men and some fellers love the Lee Enfield.

But I have to report that at about 250 meters, the max at my range, using mil-sup ammo they all grouped about equal and all hit the 6 inch iron plate.

I tend to favor the Mauser 98k and expected it to win but the 91/30 and the No 4 mkll took equal honors over all.

Granted this was not a scientific test, I just eyeballed the groups.

Still as far as mid range accuracy goes, I would say the main battle rifles of Russia, England and Germany in WWll were about equal.

Karl

I will think of you while I'm shooting my No. 4 Mk1 tomorrow afternoon. I have restocked it, bedded it, and Duracoated the metal, and am itching the lob some 170 grainers at charging stumps and suspicious looking fire ant mounds.

Please consider this whilst you're enjoying the comfortable air conditioning in house as I will surely be sweating to death tomorrow at the range...

Gotta love this old war horses!

Guest CrazyHorseTheGrenadier

I used to hunt with a No. 4 that I was crazy over but never bagged a deer with it. I did get one with a 98 Mauser though. It dropped like a skillet from a window. Accuracy was about the same. I have gotten the best groups from Swedes and Garands especially.

Well...

Finally made it to the ranch to shoot! I had something come up and did not get the chance to go yesterday as planned. I am please to say that my rifle shot 2x better than before I tinkered with it with the same load. However, I am shooting 10" high consistently so I am going to work up a milder batch of loads with the next reloading session.

I am most pleased to report that my best group (at ~100 paces) measures 2"x3" stringing veritcally from top to bottom. That's probably the best I've shot with open sights this year and more than enough to kill an East Texas whitetail or hog should I get the chance.

I will try some of the Red Dot loads soon.

Thanks all,

Jason