Military Firearm Restoration Corner

Fredricksburg Texas Has A Fritz Street

Horsefly

I've never noticed it before,and think I should tell them it's not suppose to have a capital f.An old saying around Muenster Tex. where I grew up was "you can always tell a German,but you aint going to tell them much"! It was nice down there.Only got up to 92 degrees,and took all day to get there.About 10 drops of rain hit the windshield,and they were big drops.Do the rest of you dudes get up in the mornings at a motel,slip out as quiet as you can and walk the streets and maybe find some coffee while your wife sleeps and finally gets up and goes through all the hell they go through getting ready for the day?Jerry

Jerry, I'm glad that there is still some place in this politically correct country where a town can name a street after a German, instead of renaming every street to the name of a local politician. That happens too often, and the recent renaming of our post office to the name of a local (still living) justice of the peace is a good example.

I'm sure I have mentioned before about my community being originally named "Germantown), for a damned good reason (it was Germans who founded it, who made it). But when the Kaiser started the Big War they were forced by the PC people to rename it. They named it after the first local boy (who just happened to be of German descent, big surprise) who was killed in France.

So, it became "Schroeder" (pronouned as Shrader).

I still think that the reason why my family did not settle in Fredricksburg was because, after leaving Indianola by wagon, the wheels fell off at Germantown! It looked like good country to them (must have been a mild year) so they just bought land here, about 100 miles south of their destination.

Oh well, I think we have more oil and gas here than around Fredricksburg, and the cows seem to do good whenever the hell it rains (which is too few and far between).

fritz

Jerry,

I've never been into street walking but I do enjoy a nice cup of coffee in solitude.

We just got back from some suburbs of Phoenix. The views were spectacular, the coffee so, so, lol.

Can't believe how expensive AZ is.

Tink,Indianola was down on the Texas coast near Port Lavaca and Rock Port.It was the main entry into Texas for immigrants arriving by ship.It got completely blown away in a hurricane in the 1800's.Seems to me it was destoyed twice,and the second time done it in.Jerry

I looked up Indianola and it was hit hard by a hurricane in 1875 on Sept.16,doing much damage to the town and killing lots of folks.Its first name was Indian Point.Around 1886 another hurricane did hit and later a fire finished the town.fritz,one of my best friends is from Muenster and is a Schroeder and is pronounced Shrader.Jerry

Jerry,

I've never been into street walking

I really enjoy street walking in strange cities. On two occasions, in the downtown areas of Philly and Cincinanti I was advised to get off the street by police.

but I do enjoy a nice cup of coffee in solitude.

The crowd I was traveling with headed for the bars, I used to hit the coffeee shops but always avoided the snobbery at Starbucks. Solitude amongst caffine laced liberal thinking minds found in the coffee crowd was always difficult. It wouldn't be unusual in the Phx area but I used to love the strange looks I would get eastern cities when I walked in wearing western boots and clothes. I was usually asked if I was from Texas.

We just got back from some suburbs of Phoenix. The views were spectacular,

You must have been looking at the women!! I can't think of anything "spectacular" around here!!

the coffee so, so, lol.

Can't believe how expensive AZ is.

You must have been in the northeast part, Scottsdale I assume. If you're looking for property the further away from Phx the more expensive it gets. The white flight from the city is driving prices up in the burbs, similiar to the L.A. area in the 70 and 80's.

I just spent a nearly a month in L.A., more specifically the Winnetka area. It was spossed to be a few days to a week max and lasted almost a month. I drove my elderly aunt to see my sick uncle. My uncle died and my aunt fell in the hospital parking lot and broke her hip. Everytime I planned to leave, something would happen delaying my departure. I tried to look you up but gave up trying to hook to the net after trying to use a WebTv unit. My uncle was still attached to the 70's and his phone lines I discovered only worked with rotory technology. I actually thought I would escape the nightime Phx heat and the temperature in Winnetka hit a 119 my second or third day.