Military Firearm Restoration Corner

Optimum Barrel Length

Guest Guest_48mauser_*

Guest Guest_48mauser_*

Gentleman, in the Sept. issue of "Shootin Times" magazine they have an article about the Ruger Model 77 Mark II Frontier scout rifle. The article states that the sixteen and a half inch long barrel is near optmum length for the cartridges that it uses (.308 family). The velocity only drops off about 123 feet per sec verses the standard twentyfour inch test barrels and there is very little deviation round to round, this is supposed to signify efficient use of the powder. Now to the real question, I want to build a scout rifle on a 48 Yugo Mauser and would lie recommendations on the optimum (shortest practical) barrel length? The article mentioned that the longer cartidges would have a corresponding longer barrel. Sorry about the long winded question. I would also be interested in any loads you could recommend mainly for deer hunting. Thanks all, Paul P.

Well, you can go too long and then you can go too short on barrel length.

I believe more in balance and handling of the rifle rather than a set barrel length. Some carbine configurations are fine with 18" barrels, and that is what I would call my limit on shortening.

Anything less does not appeal to me, and I am the one using the rifle. But it's your call. If it balances right with a shorter barrel, go for it.

There are many factory rifles with 18" barrels. And wasn't that the length of the Winchester '94? I have probably killed as many deer with 18"arrels as with 24" tubes. But it must balance right for you.

Edit: the '94 had 16" and 20" barrels, but the 20" was the most popular. I was thinking of my Rem. 600 with a 18" barrel.

fritz

Start out with the issue 24.5" barrel and keep chopping it down till you find the length that fits you the best. Do not go any shorter than 16.5".

I am not a big fan of short barrels simply because I don't want the increased muzzle blast they cause any closer to my ears than necessary.

Remington 600's and Winchester 30-30's have always been my first choice for deer hunting out of a box stand.It's lots easier banging something when your trying to thread a long barrel out a small hole that it is with a stubby barrel.I put together a Swede 96,and cut the barrel to 20'' and it works just fine in a stand or carring in the brush.Jerry

Roscoe is on the right track. I personally like a barrel no less than 18". I just don't like the muzzle balst that accompanies the shorter barrels. A 16" barrel is fine on a pistol caliber rifle like a levergun or even a .30-30 class cartridge. But the bigger bottleneck cartridges do tend to become less pleasant with short barrels. In the end, go with what you want because in reality even 200 fps is not such a big thing especially at the distances carbines are meant to be used at. I do like the couple of really short barreled Military mauser carbines that were made. They look so, well, cute, lol.

FYI my mannlichers wear 19.5 to 20" bbls. My .308 carbine is 21" and no slouch! Most of my others wear 24"+ barrel but that's cuz I like em long.

I think the most important consideration is balance. A shorter barrel sometimes benefits from being thicker so it balances as well as a longer thinner barrel.

Guest Guest_911rat_*

Roscoe is on the right track. I personally like a barrel no less than 18". I just don't like the muzzle balst that accompanies the shorter barrels. A 16" barrel is fine on a pistol caliber rifle like a levergun or even a .30-30 class cartridge. But the bigger bottleneck cartridges do tend to become less pleasant with short barrels. In the end, go with what you want because in reality even 200 fps is not such a big thing especially at the distances carbines are meant to be used at. I do like the couple of really short barreled Military mauser carbines that were made. They look so, well, cute, lol.

FYI my mannlichers wear 19.5 to 20" bbls. My .308 carbine is 21" and no slouch! Most of my others wear 24"+ barrel but that's cuz I like em long.

I think the most important consideration is balance. A shorter barrel sometimes benefits from being thicker so it balances as well as a longer thinner barrel.

I'm in total agreement with Z.

I have a Remington Model 7 in .308 with an 18 1/2" barrel. It handles and shoots well, but if I had built it it would have had a 20" barrel.

With slower and medium burning rate powders it really turns heads at the range.