Military Firearm Restoration Corner

Why You Need A Lathe For Barreling

Guest Guest_Clemson

Guest Guest_Clemson

I just measured 8 different receivers in my shop. There were seven 1909 Argies and one VZ 24. I was checking the distance from the front of the action to the primary (inner) torque shoulder. The shortest was 0.629 inches. The longest was 0.633 inches. The average was about 0.6315 inches. Now why would I care? I also measured three prethreaded barrels that I have on hand. Two A&B barrels measured 0.625" each. One LW barrel measures 0.629". Without a lathe to push the shoulders back, I can't fit anything to anything. The Walther barrel is long-chambered, so I have to trim it anyway, and the A&B barrels are too short. I will end up truing several of the receivers, so they may end up shorter.

Who says you can do a "no-lathe" installation? I'm not that lucky.

Clemson

Thanks for the great illustration of why lathes are so important for installing barrels. The good news is that military barrels and most sporter contours will fit through the spindle of cheap Chinese minilathes - and so are well within the realm of the casual home gunsmith.

I think that machine shop should be a required course for all male high schoolers. Home economicss for the gals. I know that this won't fly today, but everyone would be much happier and productive as a result. I wish I'd taken machine shop, and I'll be making sure that my boys do (although hopefully they know a lot before hand).

I suppose that the intrepid, die-hard Bubba could figure-out a way to safely form brass in mis-sized chamber, but learning how to use a minilathe would be less trouble and a lot safer if/when the gun changes hands.

Guest Stewright

+1. Novice to the field thinking I'd be able to do a no-lathe rebarrell. VZ24 with 0.631 between shoulders and an A&B short chambered bbl with 0.625 (at least its consistent smile.gif ). So I'm going to the lathe after all. And I still have to rent the finish reamer.

At least I get to learn something new...

- Steve

I personally learned all I needed to learn about Home Economics while being raised by my Mother...I've done fine since. What I really needed was a machine shop course!

I took metal shop when I was in middle school, I really loved it even though I didn't get to make a whole lot of stuff...my stuff was better than everyone else's though...my perfectionism came through even as a pre-teen! LOL!

I have considered taking some college machine shop courses since I am into guns and I have realized how much more I could do with the knowledge of using a lathe and/or mill, but as always, it's a question of leisure time.

But one day, I hope to gain a little basic knowledge of machine shop essentials...just enough to be dangerous!

Emul8,

Do it while you are still in CA. The JC courses are rediculously cheap here. Take a basic machine shop class or two and a welding class. Most of the JC's offer these as weekend & night classes too and sometimes for free as extended ed classes. You may want to consider a class at Lassen too. Two weeks of their basic machine & barrelling classes would be damn near free.