Military Firearm Restoration Corner

22-250 Remturk

Spiris

This is my first rifle that I have completed on my own. I bought a mini-lathe a few months ago and practiced cutting SR threads on old junk LR barrels. I had a Remington 24" 22-250 barrel that I carefully cut the threads to fit to an above average Turk receiver and then chambered and headspaced it. I D&T the receiver, fitted a montana bolt handle (stick weld) to the bolt body using wet rags and a heat sink. I didn't tuck the bolt handle close on purpose as I personally like it's position as is and it clears the scope nicely. The barrel and receiver are parkerized and duracoated matt black. I dropped it into a Hogue overmold stock, which I love the feel of. It is not glass bedded and probably won't because it shoots very well. I learned a lot doing this and have this site to thank for some of the tips passed around here. It's topped with a Milllett 6-18 scope and has a singleshot follower in the mag and a Bold trigger. I am extremely pleased with it's accuracy, but it was finicky with different loads. My powder of choice was varget but it would not group. Old IMR 3031 came through though with the best 5 shot group of around 3/8" ctc using the hornady A-MAX. I still need to polish the bolt handle more, but I got in a rush to shoot it. Those montana bolts are real coarse and require a lot of work. I've got to touch up the duracoat in one spot on the receiver near the front of the extractor. I know the weaver rings are not the prettiest, but are tried and true reliable, and I'm on a fixed income. I have pictures.

[attachmentid=166]

[attachmentid=167]

[attachmentid=168]

Spiris

post-237-1155247613_thumb.jpg

post-237-1155247680_thumb.jpg

post-237-1155247715_thumb.jpg

some people will say do"nt waste time on reworking those old turks...just buy one ready to shoot....

those people just don"t know the joy of learning the skills that come with such a project...i"m sure this want be your last mauser rifle..nice job

You got a dandy rifle there.I like those Houge stocks too,just don't have one yet.They just don't feel like the lid of your ice-chest.That bolt would sure work good for me too.I'm a lefty and reach over the top to shift gears,and that little bit of extra clearance would be appreciated.Great work!!!Jerry

Wow. One hole groups from a Turk and a take-off barrel. I love it when in the middle of shooting a group like that when the hair on the back of your neck starts to stand up and you realize for the first time that you have a real shooter. I wish it happened to me more often. Its a sure sign that you've done great work.

I like that duracoat finish and the whole thing looks great in that Hogue stock.

One hole groups = no need to bed. It definitely ain't broke so don't be trying to fix it.

Those bolt handles are the hardest part for me, and if that was your first you've got talent to spare.