Military Firearm Restoration Corner

Destroying Feral Cat Colony

AzRednek

Does anybody know a real way to eliminate, kill or destroy a feral cat colony without running afoul of the law?? The BS on the net is controlled by cat loving weirdos. I'm sicker than he|| after a cat bite and am to the point of being able to kill every one of the critters without any guilt. All the animal control is doing outside of keeping the cat for 10 days is give me list of charities that will capture the cats, spay and neuter and then bring them back!! What a joke!! I was asked if I wanted the biting cat back, are they nuts!! I told an animal control officer I was going to put rat poisen in sardines and he told me I would be convicted of a felony. Anybody know why I can call an exterminator to eliminate mice or pidgeons but the law wont allow them to exterminate cats?? These animal rights nuts will likely be protecting cock roaches and ticks in the near future.

Get traps from your local ASPCA.( there will be a deposit, but that should be returned when you return the trap.)

Put some food in them and you will trap the cats.

Then bring them down to the ASPCA.

Duty done in a lawful and humane manner and you are in the clear.

Karl

I take it you live in a township. If it were in the countryside, use the three S's!

But you have "let the cat out of the sack" by telling them about your problem.

fritz

But you have "let the cat out of the sack" by telling them about your problem.

fritz has a point.

Do the right thing or you well may have legal problems.

karl

Trap cat in wire humane type trap.

Leave cat in trap.

Drive to nearest deep creek,lake,river.etc.

Take long piece of rope and tie it to the cage.

You can tell when they are fully "Baptized" cause the bubbles quit coming up.

Taking them water skiing adds more fun to the situation.

-Don

"Taking them water skiing adds more fun to the situation."

Never took a cat water skiing, but I had a seagull pull the tow rope once when I was water skiing. The poor fowl ran out of steam and I was drowning in the middle of the lake.

But my trusty Labrador swam out to me and saved me. He was a good dog, and I miss him dearly.

BTW, this was in a dream---ever have one of them? I could write a book on all the weird dreams I have had, but who would buy it?

fritz

Get traps from your local ASPCA.( there will be a deposit, but that should be returned when you return the trap.)

Put some food in them and you will trap the cats.

Then bring them down to the ASPCA.

Duty done in a lawful and humane manner and you are in the clear.

Karl

Karl I did exactly as you suggested after the Rabies Control Officer that picked up the biting cat became aware that I had two more in traps. I was hoping they would take them along with the biting cat. I had to dispose of the cats legally. The kicker is I was charged $150.00, $75.00 each. I can get $110 of it refunded if I can find a receipt showing we had a previous agreement where I paid $20.00 for the first two and $10.00 each for the following seven days. I've got the traps set and will find the original paperwork. Hopefully I buried it with tax deductble receipts for my rental property. There is no established ASPCA in this area, their job is handled by the Arizona Chapter of the American Humane Society. Even if I find the original agreement I believe it expires the end of August. The Humane Society supervisor claimed the agreements were only written on 90 day increments and they increased their fees recently after the county did. The county dog pound charges $95.00 per cat. Apparently the pita types have managed to sneak through some chicken s**t legeslation. On top of all the fees I had to pay somebody to clean the yard after a neighbor filed a complaint to the city. The back yard was like a huge cat box, there were dried up cat turds everywhere. While I was out of town when the city showed up, a dead kitten was found with the afterbirth attached. I was faced with a heavy fine If I didn't clean it up immedialty.

In the middle of writing this I was visited by a member of the Sheriff's Possee. The special possee of animal lovers in a publicity stunt for the Sheriff enforces the so-called humane laws. The posse was originally formed to stop organized Pitbull and Rooster fighting. Apparently the Sheriff saw it as a way of getting the PITA votes and gives them full police authority to investigate and enforce enforce animal cruelty laws.

I was given an offer of trapping, spaying and nuetering with me paying the costs based on a sliding scale of my income. The almost laughable portion of the offer is I have to sign an agreement to feed, water and provide protection from extreme weather after they bring them back. He didn't come right out and say but made it sound as if I abandon the cats by not feeding them I could possibly be charged with animal cruelty. Guess I put my foot in my mouth when I asked the Rabies Control Officer if it was legal to poisen them like I do golphers.

Guess it is time to call my lawyer!! I'm hoping there is an inexpensive way to force the owner of the vacant lot next to my rental to deal with the problem. If he hadn't denied me permission to enter his yard with cat traps a couple of months ago I could have handled the problem before it got out of control. I'm now dealing with the third generation and plenty of horny toms around ready to bring on the fourth.

Thank all for the advice, especially the private messages.

I would recheck on the trap.

Someone may be giving you a runaround.

Here in Kali, the ASPCA will issue you traps with a deposit, for I think, up to a week.

Once you return the trap and cat, You get your money back.

If you don't own the cats and they come from the lot next door, I fail to see how you can be held responsible for the actions or care of the cats.

I think I would check with a lawyer.

Don't get me wrong, I AM a cat-man but it seems to me that you are getting a raw deal.

karl

Depending on how friendly you are with him, you might do well to at least visit with your lawyer about this situation. There may be something you're not being told by the pro-animal group that you should know. As the land owner, you should have some rights and these are stray cats. You didn't abandon them in this lot and you're not trying to exterminate them (yet). I think you would do well to examine your rights now before these PETA types get the chance to take serious advantage of you. I had dealings with more of these people than I'd care to remember when I worked at the pet shop and I can tell that based on my experience, some of these people are down right irrational when it comes to cats and dogs. My advise then, is cover your ass now before something else happens.

Well, I'm not too good at giving advise (other than the three "S"), but it would seem that as deep a schitt you have gotten into over someone else's failure to obey the animal control rules (that seem to be behind this mess), you must now sue the original owner, or person responsibe, for your loss of money in trying to correct HIS problem.

lawyer fritz

office hours 24/7

I wish I had not deleted the video funny that Tony posted here a couple years ago. It was about a "cat in the kettle at a Chinese restaurant". I remember some of the lines, but not all.

While I never ate at a Chinese restaurant, I have sometimes wondered about some of those Mexican joints I used to eat at! I think it was a dead giveaway when you never saw a dog or a cat in the vicinity.

fritz

Jason,

I just saw on the nightly news of a cat problem in Grapevine. Ain't that near you?

Seems there were about a hundred cats in an old house, in the walls and everywhere. The "rescuers" had to use breathing apparatus to go in there.

More to follow.

fritz

I found a remedy but I'm afraid to put it out in public. Should the militant animal rights type find out I could expect problems, even though what I'm doing is perfectly legal and it is not cruel. So far I've hauled away over 10 after finding cat traps for a dollar a day. Might have got more if I hadn't parked my Rottie in the yard for the day while I was cleaning up. There is just no-way I'm going to pay the Humane Society $75 or the dog pound I support with my tax money $95 for each cat I surrender.

Karl, I'm afraid you're incorrect or possibly the policy has changed recently. The ASPCA will only lend traps for their CNR program. Capture, nueter and return. I expect it to be the same I found here, where I have to foot the bill and sign an agreement to feed and shelter the pests after they are returned. I was advised not to contact any of the cat-loving orgs and reveal the address. I was told they will destroy the cat traps, leave food and possibly do some vandilism making the house hard to rent. I hope the Pet Posse hasn't tipped anybody off on the location. I've had cats around all my life untill about 5 years ago finding out I was allergic to cat dander. I had one cat for close to 19 years but was responsible enough to get it fixed after the first litter. I did allow it in the house when she got older but after this episode I never want another cat around.

I wish I could sue somebody but actually proving somebody caused the problem is a different story. If I knew for certain who was responsible I have a storage shed in I'd like to dump their yard. Let them enjoy the aroma of the cat piss while it is hot and humid here.

Fritz your post remined me of a refugee family from Vietnam that moved on my cul-de-sac years ago. After they moved in there was no cat problem anywhere in the neighborhood. The Humane Society had to get a court order to stop them from raising cats, dogs and pidgeons for food. They were also busted for using their food stamps for gambling. The family was supported by the government. The father was a pilot in the South Vietnam Air force and the half french mother who was absolutley drop dead beautiful was employed by the US Embassy. My step-son did eat there a few times before finding out, he claimed whatever it was it tasted good but thought it was strange they ate "chicken" and rice for breakfast.

I am sorry to read that.

If the ASPCA will not help a man when he is trying to do the right thing...well, it is just not right to charge and especially to over charge..in the long run it is counterproductive.

Take care

Karl

Fritz,

Although Grapevine is a up further north of me, I did hear about that situation with the cats. Nasty wasn't it? Ewww...

AZ,

I've been to Mexico a few times and I'll be darned if I saw any animals on the loose down there - stray or otherwise. The food was mighty tasty though. The trick was simply if you like it, eat it, but don't ask what it is!

I am sorry to read that.

If the ASPCA will not help a man when he is trying to do the right thing...well, it is just not right to charge and especially to over charge..in the long run it is counterproductive.

Take care

Karl

Thx again for the advice Karl, here is a link on the ASPCA policy.

http://www.aspca.org/site/PageServer?pagename=cruelty_tnr

Grapevine is where DFW airport located,and where Shooter Tom lives,6 miles from me,and I never heard the story.I'm not surprized at all.This country around here is covered up with feral cats,and I haven't seen a quail around here in years.Jerry

You know, if you think about it, the policy of that ASPCA is NOT going to help cats.

No-one is going to pay almost 100 bucks per stray.

Why say the litters had ten cats, that is a grand!!!.

They will get rid of the cats on the QT.

It would serve the cats better if the ASPCA worked on donations, then folks would have no reason to zap the cats.

karl

Years ago, when I lived in the PRC in a So.Cal town, I knew a mailman that had a similar problem. The neighbor cats were chewing up his cat and his vet bill was quite large. He got one of those traps and would catch them. That's how I found out exactly how quiet a 22 BB cap is. In later years, I discovered CB Longs, which in a rifle length barrel sound about as loud as a air rifle. And, they are available at most Wal*Mart's. Just get a bolt action rifle or be ready to manually cycle a semi-auto. They make more noise in a pistol length barrel.

I don't tolerate such things. Living out in the country, them city-folk (mostly from the college, I suspect) drive out of town, take the first right, then the next right and wind up on my dirt road. They dump live dogs, live cats, dead dogs, dead hogs, dead deer, dead fish and a dead black man once. The cats will eventually get pretty wild and attack mine for left over Special Kitty at night. Dogs too, sometimes. The local animal control officer told me that any animal on my property was fair game, abandoned or whatever. And anything that attacks one of my animals was a no-brainer. It is not something I look forward to doing, but I will protect my animals. Some shiite-head once dumped a beautiful male dog, about 50 lbs, 7 mo old or so. The poor dog just sat there right where he was dumped, waiting for his master to return. He would come down to my creek for some water, then go right back. After a few weeks, neighbors started feeding him scraps, fish, etc., for a month or two as he just sat there. Eventually, someone from here adopted him and he lucked out. Most of them just dwindle away, or the 'yotes get them or they get run over.

Dr.Hess