Military Firearm Restoration Corner

Case Sticks In Chamber Of M28

mikeh3

I picked up a couple of Finnish mosins the other day. After cleaning I took both to the range.

The M39 functions normally, loads and ejects with no problems.

The M28 loads normally but when fired the case will stick in the chamber at the rate of 1 to 3 or 4.

The M28 bolt and receiver serial numbers match. The ammunication I shot in both came from the same box. When the case sticks the bolt is a little harder to open. It acts like high pressure but like I said, " the case sticks every 1 to 3 or 4 rounds and the ammo came from the same box". I do notice a scratch on the side of the cases from the M28. Has anyone seen this problem and is there a simple way to fix the problem?

I like both rifles but the M28 shoots a better group than the M39. I hope I can solve this problem.

Two things common to Mosins are chambers that have a laquer build up from the ammo and small burrs at the edge of the chamber, closest to the bolt face. Both are relatively easy fixes. In the case of a build up thorough cleaning and maybe a very light polishing of the chamber will fix it. As for burrs, simply remove them with a piece of emery cloth or abrasive and the problem will go away. These have proven to both be common in all of the mosins. Good luck and let us know. swamp_thing

To follow what Swamp Thing wrote about, I too have had trouble with cases sticking my 91/30's chamber. I alleviated some of the problem by taking a .45 caliber and cleaning patch soaked in Hoppe's and using my drill and to spin this in the chamber. It helps, but not nearly as much as emery clothe does.

I also think this rifle might benefit from a longer bolt handle but that's kinda on down near the bottom of the To Do list...

Two things common to Mosins are chambers that have a laquer build up from the ammo and small burrs at the edge of the chamber, closest to the bolt face. Both are relatively easy fixes. In the case of a build up thorough cleaning and maybe a very light polishing of the chamber will fix it. As for burrs, simply remove them with a piece of emery cloth or abrasive and the problem will go away. These have proven to both be common in all of the mosins. Good luck and let us know. swamp_thing

Thanks to you both for your input.

I'll look at those two areas. I was thinking about some valve grinding compound to use on a patch when polishing the chamber. I'll let you know. I've been fooling with Mausers the past few years and didn't think much of the mosin until now. I was surprised how well they perform. Again thanks for your replies.

I do notice a scratch on the side of the cases from the M28.

In light of this statement I still lean towards a small burr in the chamber and if this is the case then it will be there with whatever ammo he shoots. Need to look it over good and remove the rough spot. swamp_thing

I solved the scratching problem by using sand paper on the front of the chamber. I polished the chamber with some bore polish.

The cases still stick after firing.

I looked at a couple of mosin sights and found that the barrel diameter of the M28 is 308 instead of the 310 or 311. I'll try pulling some of the 310 bullets, resize the neck of the case and load some 308 bullets to see if the pressure problem is solved and hopefully the case sticking problem will go away. I'm hoping to go back to the range next week if it doesn't rain and see what happens. I'll let you know. Please chime in if you have any other ideas. I really like the rifle except for the sticking case problem.

I solved the scratching problem by using sand paper on the front of the chamber. I polished the chamber with some bore polish.

The cases still stick after firing.

I looked at a couple of mosin sights and found that the barrel diameter of the M28 is 308 instead of the 310 or 311. I'll try pulling some of the 310 bullets, resize the neck of the case and load some 308 bullets to see if the pressure problem is solved and hopefully the case sticking problem will go away. I'm hoping to go back to the range next week if it doesn't rain and see what happens. I'll let you know. Please chime in if you have any other ideas. I really like the rifle except for the sticking case problem.

Thanks, I've order some dies and cases. I'll let you know.

Thanks again for your input.

Mike

Good news, the M28 now functions normally. I appreciate everyone’s input. I received my loading dies and Wolf Gold ammo from Midway. Looks like RGRWJB was right about the ammo. I went to the range, loaded four rounds and found all loaded, shot and ejected normally without any problems. Since the Wolf ammo worked without any problems, I compared the Wolf ammo with the military surplus Hungarian that I have been trying to shoot. I found both to have the same bullet diameter, .310” but I noticed when I loaded the Hungarian round the bolt was a little harder to close. I ejected the round and found marks on the nose of the bullet. I measured both rounds for C.O.L. and found the Wolf to be a little below the C.O.L spec. And the Hungarian over the spec. my guess is that my M28 chamber must be on spec. or below and my M39 which shoots the Hungarian normally must have a chamber that is over spec. I didn’t think about the surplus ammo not being on spec. but since so many countries made barrels and ammo for the 7.62x54R, I guess the specs. were not followed too closely.

I have so much of the Hungarian ammo I wonder if I could just seat the bullet a little lower in the case. Does anyone think there would be a problem with seating the bullet further down the metal surplus case? I haven’t fooled around with surplus metal cases and I’m not sure if there is something I’m not thinking about.

Again, thanks for all the help with all the problems.

Mike

Does anyone think there would be a problem with seating the bullet further down the metal surplus case? I haven’t fooled around with surplus metal cases and I’m not sure if there is something I’m not thinking about.

Mike

Yes, there could be a big problem called high pressure. Seating a bullet deeper without also asjusting the powder charge could result in dangerously high pressures.

Try the Lapua 7.62x53R cases when you are reloading. Also try their D-166 200gr bullets. That bullet/case configuration was made for that rifle. The original D-166 loading was a change from the old Russian 7.62x54R case in that the Finns beveled the case head. Here is some more info on the Finnish ammo from my website:

My Webpage

Guest Guest_mikeh3_*

Try the Lapua 7.62x53R cases when you are reloading. Also try their D-166 200gr bullets. That bullet/case configuration was made for that rifle. The original D-166 loading was a change from the old Russian 7.62x54R case in that the Finns beveled the case head. Here is some more info on the Finnish ammo from my website:

My Webpage

I'll try to locate some Lapua brass and reload for the M28.

To me this is a great rifle, and its in very good condition. I was lucky, I found this rifle in a pawn shop for $80.00. It pays to hit the pawn shops. This rifle is one that I will keep.

Thanks for your reply.

• 2 months later...

I don't see how seating the bullet a little deeper will cause an over pressure situation even close to what you had when the round chambered with the bullet already into the rifling, especially if you stay close to the spec COL.

I would try a couple and see what they do. But maybe I'm just nuts.

I don't see how seating the bullet a little deeper will cause an over pressure situation even close to what you had when the round chambered with the bullet already into the rifling, especially if you stay close to the spec COL.

I would try a couple and see what they do. But maybe I'm just nuts.

Thanks CRITTER 183 for your reply.

We share the same reasoning on the bullet depth. I think I will reseat some of the Military ammo to the same specs. of the Wolf ammo and give a couple of rounds a try.

Thanks.

Thanks CRITTER 183 for your reply.

We share the same reasoning on the bullet depth. I think I will reseat some of the Military ammo to the same specs. of the Wolf ammo and give a couple of rounds a try.

Thanks.

If it blows up, remember, I did say "Maybe I'm nuts..." hehehe

If it blows up, remember, I did say "Maybe I'm nuts..." hehehe

Yesterday, I went to the range with some Hungarian military surplus rounds reseated to the correct A.O.L. for my M28. All rounds loaded, shot and ejected normally with normal looking primers. I’m now satisfied that the original problem was the Hungarian surplus ammo being over the A.O.L. specification. It seems others have had Mosins with hard to open bolts; maybe this has been their problem also.

I’m glad to get this problem behind me and I appreciate everyone’s input. This will be the last post for me on this topic.