Military Firearm Restoration Corner

Struck Out In Big Game Lottery.

AzRednek

Don't know if I'm po'd or just feeling sorry for myself. Arizona big game permits are on a lottery system. This year I put in for deer, elk and antelope and wasn't picked for anything. I really wish the population growth would stop in the entire state, there isn't enough game to satisfy the demand. The number of applications grow every year. Over half the residents in Phoenix and the burbs were not here 10 years ago. Guess I'm going to be hunting birds and varmits this year. It has been a tight year financially, so out of state hunts are out. In my opinion the lottery system favors bow hunters, the percentage of denied applications is much lower than high powered rifle draws.

We just came through the northern part of your state, from Cedar City, UT to Flagstaff (Sedona), then east on 40. Some beautiful and some desolate areas. Did 3400+ miles on 2 wheels x 2. Didn't see too many deer through there, or much for them to eat either north of Flagstaff.

Dr.Hess

I've always wanted to go "from Phoenix Arizona all the way to Tacoma". Someday............ The lottery deal would be tough. We had a lottery for antlerless tags in MN for years. Now we can buy OTC bonus tags. I would still rather hunt out west, even as much as I do love it here. My father-in-law took an cow elk last year up on the (Moggion?) rim last fall. He didn't fare well on the draw this year either.

As a native Oregonian and having lived in CA when it was still a great state I can agree with Jim Morrison that the West is the best.

Having said that, for hunting the East can't be beat. Our "limit" is six deer from Sept to Jan two of which must be does (NC). They're thick enough to cause problems out here, and for reasons I don't understand, not too many folks are hunting them.

Idaho residents have it made. Their licenses and tags for elk are around $42, as opposed to non residents that pay around $550. WOW! Plus the million gallons of $3 gas it would take to get there from Minnesota. I would love to go out there, but the bank hasn't said it was OK yet. I should have gotten a career that included vacation time. The west is the best.