Military Firearm Restoration Corner

Sks Original Mags

karlunity

Center fire has original SKS 10 round mags for $ 15 bucks!!!

Fellas they are getting very hard to find and selling for between 30 and 60 bucks if you can find them.

The one I got cleaned up so well, I put in my main SKS.

karl

It's been so long since I've played with mine, how many do they normally hold? Is this the detachable or fixed? All mine are fixed.

My first was a chicom and I love the darn thing. Mine is milled with screw in barrel and is pretty darn accurate. i can hold three MOA as fast as I can pull the trigger. Maybe 1.5 when I try and take my time.

My other is a Yugo with the grenade launcher. I removed that and the blade but never made it to the range. Still don't remember how any rounds they hold but all the stripper clips I have are made for ten rounds.

If I could get a $90 SKS I would in a second.

If I could get a $90 SKS I would in a second.

When I had a FFL in the 80's I could buy new SKS in lots of 20 something for 39 and change. I can't recall exactly but I think it was two or three crates and the freight was paid. I never ordered any large lots and I suspect these were the cheaper built ones without the chrome lined bores. If I was lucky I could have made $20 profit. I heard all kinds of tales, some tall I'm sure at the LA Great South Western gunshows before they were banned about dealers buying pallot loads of SKS's from a Chinese Long Beach importer dirt cheap. I was told eastern dealers were pooling together and literally filling tractor-trailers full of SKS's for the eastern markets. My only regret was not picking up one of the SKS paratroper models with the folding stock and converted to detachable AK mags. If I remember right they were not quite 20 bucks higher.

During the 70's when the only SKS's in the USA were war booty from Viet Nam they were going in the 4-500 range, almost double what a M-1 rifle was going for at the time. Friend of mine bought a Nam bring back in the mid 70's and spent months locating the "near impossible to find" 762X39 ammo.

Any of you in this group under 40 years of age should scarf up every Turk you can get your hands on. Leave them in the cosmo and consider it a long term investment. You will be able to support your hobby (or addiction) when funds get tight in your retirement years. I imagine the SKS's will also make an excellent investment but there is a risk of government regualtions or out right bans possible in the long run.

Any of you in this group under 40 years of age should scarf up every Turk you can get your hands on. Leave them in the cosmo and consider it a long term investment. You will be able to support your hobby (or addiction) when funds get tight in your retirement years. I imagine the SKS's will also make an excellent investment but there is a risk of government regualtions or out right bans possible in the long run.

That's kind of what I was thinking, but the wife would probaby kill me if ups delivered 5k in guns. And how would that look on my c+r license? 100 turks, it's just a big collection.

-Don

These are the 10 round issue mag that came with your SKS!!!

You are right about the SKS's in the 70's and early 80's.

I gotta confess, I was in the Gunshop back in 93? and they were selling the SKS with no stock in a plastic bag for $ 60 bucks!!!

As to the 90 buck SKSs, here in PRC we comrades are not allowed to buy even C/R SKSs.

You can get them at the local Gun shop at times but the Markup with state fees and tax can hit $275.

karl

There wasn't a damned thing wrong with the SKSs that were selling for around $85 retail at a local shop (cheaper to those of us with a license).

This was in the 80's to early 90's. The ones selling now are the Yugos, and they are in worse shape (for the money) than the old Russian and Chinese ones.

Yeah, at one time you could buy a Russian laminated stock SKS (the elite of the lot) for around $90 with a C&R. No more, and I have had my fill of the worn-out Yugos. If you have never had one of the older SKSs, you don't know what you missed.

fritz

In 1984 Franklin's Sports in Athens,Georgia had crates of Chinese SKS's sitting on the floor at $39.95 apeice.

I wasn't aware that regular 10 round SKS magazines were hard to find.There is one in the showcase at the gunshop I work part time in.If anyone needs it just email me and I'll see what I can get it for.

Stan

That's kind of what I was thinking, but the wife would probaby kill me if ups delivered 5k in guns. And how would that look on my c+r license? 100 turks, it's just a big collection.

-Don

In the 70's a friend of mine came across some money and bought new class 3's, a Springfield M60 and a Colt M-16. His wife complained bitterly to my then new wife about him spending apx 3 grand for the two. Didn't matter though him buying her a brand new Lincoln. He recently sold the M-60 for over 30,000 and another 5 g's for the acessories and a few thousand rounds of linked ammo. He still has over 20,000 rds of 7.62 Nato ammo he payed apx a nickel a round for. My friend told me his wife made all kinds of plans for the money and he had to remind her she already blew her portion on a new car.

Another friend of mine is sitting on a 1928 Thomson he bought about that same time for apx 600. He made a small fortune selling some 50 and 100 round drums a short time after the mag ban. I kick myself almost daily for not scarfing up some class 3 weapons when they were affordable. If the current political wave continues I expect large capacity semi's to do the same in the next 20-30 years.