Military Firearm Restoration Corner

First Range Report... It Didn't Blow Up! :)

724wd

well, i test fired my first completed project, a 30/06, weekend before last. the good news is it didn't blow up....

IPB Image

i did the redneck bore sight on it, looking down the barrel and scope to get the scope somewhat close then fired at 25 feet to confirm. it was shooting a bit to the right and low, but five shots were almost touching. things were looking good. i cleaned the Adams & bennet bore after each of the first 5 shots, and the bore seemed to be fouled after each shot. maybe i got one of those rough A&B barrels? anyway, i moved out to 100 yards after getting close to the bull at 25 yards, and got kind of the same result: to the right, but this time a little high. after slight adjustments, i was left and high. high is ok, as it was only about 2 inches at 100, so that would translate pretty well to 200 and beyond. another tiny tweak to bring th scope back to the center, and then i shot farther left and higher! figuring it was just a flinch or something, i tried several more times, all still to the left and high. i let my dad and our shooting partner shoot, and they came up with the same result. adjusting the scope didnt seem to matter. i was cleaning after every few shots and keeping the barrel cool. using different bore cleaner it appeared as though the bore didnt foul horribly. i was first using some remington bore cleaner in a yellow bottle, and every patch came out black as night, even after repeated cleanings. i switched to hoppes copper solvent, and things didnt appear as bad. maybe the rem cleaner was removing the bluing in the barrel?

this was all done using remington corelok factory cheapie ammo. i am switching the scope over to my old redfield 2x7 (from the leupold vari-x II 2x7 used in the test) due to the 1/4 minute dot that i like better than a duplex. hopefully the scope will perform better - taking adjustments instead of ignoring them. the leupold was a second had from my uncle, and i have never shot with it before. it will probably be fine on a 22 or something....

i am also loading up some handrolled shells to see if i can find something it likes to eat better than factory cheapie stuff.

anyone have any pet loads for a 30/06? i have some ancient 180 grain speer spire points, and am looking for some 150 loads, as well as 165/168.

all shooting was done from a heavy rest and the last 3 shots were on the 300 yard gong (a 2'x2' hunk of steel) with 3 hits - aiming at the upper right hand corner, hitting the lower left corner... :~

so, overall, it was a success, but a bit disappointed with the results. like i said, at least it didn't blow up!

I love it when rifles don't blow up!

It looks like a very nice job.

I suspect the zeroing problems are probably scope/mount related. Make sure everything's tight. Are you near the end of your scope adjustment? Send the Leupold up the road for a check-up - they'll do it for free and it'll probably come back refurbished.

You'll get it figured-out. Hitting a 2' target at 300 is a greaat accuracy indication.

Looks good to me,dollar says DT is right about the glass or mounts.I'd send that scope back to lupy.Unless your at the end of your adjustment. 2' @ 300 yds' first time out aint shabby at all,you'll get it worked out and shes gonna' make you a dandy. 06 is just real hard to beat ,you've done good, don't be to dissapointed.I've had alot worse problems show up first rattle out of the box,and they weren't my first project.Jim