Military Firearm Restoration Corner

1903 National Match

montea6b

Well, it's been awhile coming but I finally assembled all the parts and now I have a complete 1903 National Match rifle. It could be better, but I'm happy that the old girl is dressed up in her original outfit once again. Now I feel even less remorse about stripping down a Mauser for sporterization... at least I'm keeping the ratio even!

(Not the greatest picture.)

user posted image

I needed everything but the barreled action. Most of the parts came from eBay!

The rifle came to me from my Father-in-law who had put it in a sporter stock years ago, but thankfully there were no other alterations made. I'm not sure when the peep sight was put on. I know some match rifles were outfitted with them, but not sure if this one is original or not.

I've shot it in the sporter stock, but haven't tried in the new configuration yet.

Yep, plenty of cosmo. Still some inside...

I tried acetone and whiting, scrubbed with mineral spirits and toothbrush, even wrapped in old T-shirts and steamed it in a stovepipe rigged over a camping coffee pot.

I thought I had it pretty well cleaned up, but when I put it out in the sun for the photo it leached a little more. It was a rare 80+ degree day. I wish I had had a few more days like that before I finished it, I might have gotten even more out.

It wasn't bad though, just a little seepage along a seam in the grain. Wiped clean and no ill effects.

The finish is "pre-64 Winchester red oil finish" from the Winchester restoration website. It was recommended by a member of this forum and the results are very nice and close to original.

From what I know of originals that is. My other 1903 is caked with filth and may get the same treatment.