Military Firearm Restoration Corner

Range Report

tomme boy

I got out today to test a load that shoots well. This is the 3rd time trying it out on differant outings. I wanted to make sure that it was not a lucky group the first time I shot it. The gun is a SR Turk K. Kale. I had a # 3.5 contour from ER Shaw in 8x57mm At 26" long. Fajen walking varmiter stock. Bold trigger and Beuller safety. The scope is a 4-20AO Simmins 44Mag. I have not weighed the gun but it is not light. No pics, camera is not working right now.

This group was shot at 300yds. I did not wait between any of the shots, one right after the other. The load is 44gr Varget and a 200gr HPBT Match Sierra. OAL is 3.05" the throat is very short. H4350 at 51gr shoots almost as good, but it is a very compressed load. Plus the Varget uses less powder at almost the same vel. 2556fps for H4350 and 2520fps for theVarget load.

Hear is the group. It is only 4 shots as the first was shot at a steel plate next to the target to confirm which mil dot to use as a aim point. And to foul the barrel.

IPB Image

AzRed, the scope is a 4-20x44. There would be no way I could get a group like that with a 4 power even at 100.

At first I was not too happy with Shaw. They messed up when they drilled the rear holes on the rec. Seams that the side with the ejector was higher than the other. It made the base tilt to one side and I could not adjust the scope out far enough get it to shoot center. That was even with a 20moa burris insert to try to bring it over.

The barrel seams to not foul too bad any more. It had a spot in the barrel that would foul real bad. I polished it out with some JB bore paste. It took quite a while to get it out. Now it is not bad at all.

I had to go get a new card for the camera. Will have pics real shortly.

Drool! I am surprised not to have seen this type of rifle before in 8x57. I am a fan of it. I hope to get a chance to take a whitetail with it this fall. I know that 200grn Speers blow up coon, hope to try them on a bear and deer.

They milled down the left rear of the rec. It did help, but I think I put in a 5 moa spacer. I wanted a little more room for adj. on the target scope.

I'm going to try to get out this week to see what it does at 600. I have to wait for the corn to get picked before I can get it to 1K. I might have to put a 20moa spacer in to get the elevation for this, and hopefully the speed is fast enough to stay stable at 1K.