Military Firearm Restoration Corner

Santa Barbara 338 Range Report

AzRednek

I finally got to spend some time shooting my Santa Barbara mag action that I sent Shaw to barrel in 338 mag.

My fouling shots were three quickies in the dirt mound. I learned real quick the time and money spent on the recoil pad was worth every dime and minute. No feeding or extraction issues the action was as slick and smooth as any commercial Mauser I’ve handled. With a fast extraction the brass ejected smoothly high and to the right. The Santa Barbara trigger to my surprise is clean and crisp, not quite Timney quality but a keeper.

I had set the Shaw installed Williams iron (really plastic rear) sights at the half-way point for both windage and elevation. My first shot a 25 yards I discovered the sights were way off. Way low and to the right. Leaving the sights alone I shot three more into a surprisingly tiny little cluster. I ran a dry patch through the barrel, didn’t see any indications of fouling or rough spots, so I didn’t scrub the bore, got the screw driver out and moved the sights.

After the break was called and I moved the target to 50, I shot another round of tiny three shot clusters with a few strays but the sights were still way off. I moved the sights rather drastically but the three shot groups started to spread so I ran a brush and Hoppes #9 down the bore. After the shooting resumed I was back to shooting nice little three round clusters but the sights were still off.

I moved the sights more and moved the target to 75 yards, the absolute maximum for my 55 year old eyes and iron sights. With Rx shooting glasses the sights are clear but the target is a blurr. No more clusters but still low and to the right. Out of desperation I elevated the rear sight to the max and moved the windage a bit more. During the break I put a large masking tape cross on the target and put on my regular everyday glasses. The sights were a little fuzzy but I could clearly the center of the cross on the target.

By this time I was really starting to hurt from the punishing recoil but I was determined I wasn’t going to give up until I had the sights set. The first three shots at 75 clustered about three inches high and dead center. Satisfied the sights were close enough to get one in the killing zone on deer sized game I was going to shoot another three in the standing position but by that time I was seriously flinching from the recoil. I put the 338 in the rack, moved the target to 200 and got out my heavy varmit barreled scoped 22-250. I still couldn’t shoot without flinching even with the mild recoiling rifle. With the 22-250 on sandbags I used to go for headshots on varmits at long ranges with good success but with the flinching problem my shots were all over the target. So I decided to call it a day.

I’m more satisfied and really pleased with the accuracy of the Shaw barrel but they did a half-assed job with the iron sights. Looks like I’m going to have to shim the rear sight or look for a lower front post. I also failed to mention the front sight hood flew away and I wasn’t able to find it. I can’t complain about the accuracy, will likely use Shaw again, can recommend them but I will be really hesitant about shelling out an additional 65 bucks for their Williams sights.

From now on I’ll shoot the mags last, I just can’t handle recoil like I used to. On the other hand it gives me a good excuse to work on a 25/06 or 270 project. I’m having second thoughts about the Enfield 375 H&H mind project but even worse I have a 458 Winnie project in progress. Guess I’ll have to turn into a muzzle break geek and piss off adjacent shooters at the range. It’s pure hell getting old!!

Sounds like you had fun, But we need pics.

Here is what the rear sight looked like after getting it zero'd. Needless to say I'm not pleased. I emailed Shaw hopefully they will fix it. If not I'm going to look for a lower front post.

IPB Image

Here is the rifle in progress I posted in a thread awhile back. I've since shaped the stock a little more, installed a recoil pad and finished with spray on poly. http://www.sporterizing.com/index.php?showtopic=2620&hl=

How fast was their turn around time?

I was told when I sent it 6-8 weeks and it arrived 6 weeks and one day from when I sent it. In my latest email from Shaw the turn around time was 8-10 weeks more time for Enfield conversions. Simple barrel installation and no other gunsmithing around fairly fast. Blueing seems to really slow things up but it was worth the wait, it was a decent job. I don't mind the wait as long as they are reasonably honest from the onset. I really got hosed around a few years back by McGowen. Their few weeks estimate turned into almost four months.

How fast was their turn around time?

Boy your turn around time was great! I ordered two barrels from them on 6/06 and they said 4-16 weeks, looks like its gonna be 16 weeks or real close.

AZ, ask them for a taller rear and a shorter front. That should help to make the sights more level. I wouldn't shim the rear. It just would not look right.

Thx Tomme, hopefully Shaw will fix it without me having to shim the rear. If not I hope I can get a low enough front without having to deal with the rear. A shim though can't look much worse than the way I have the rear sight elevated. At the rate my eyesight declines annually and the poor luck getting drawn for Elk I might be better off scoping it or getting a red dot sight.

Scott if you ordered barrels without gunsmithing you might get them pretty quick. Gunsmithing services and blueing is what seems to really slow them down. The two Shaw barrels I ordered from Sportsman's Guide were shipped directly from Shaw and arrived in less than 2 weeks.

Gents, I ordered a barrel from them recently for a friend and it came in 12 weeks. That and it was warped. We were not amused.

Did you have any luck returning it?? From what I'm hearing via the net buying Shaw barrels is the same crap shoot with buying A&B or Numrich barrels, might or might not get a good one. Hopefully they will stand behind thier goods and the turn around time on returns is a little more reasonable.

Gents, I ordered a barrel from them recently for a friend and it came in 12 weeks. That and it was warped. We were not amused.

Did you have any luck returning it?? From what I'm hearing via the net buying Shaw barrels is the same crap shoot with buying A&B or Numrich barrels, might or might not get a good one. Hopefully they will stand behind thier goods and the turn around time on returns is a little more reasonable.

No, My friend used it as a tomato stake. He since bought a Douglas. In fairness to Shaw my buddy never tried to return it. He was disgusted and based of my lone experience with them, he elected not to try. I think they would have made good.

I bought one, ONCE, it arrived after 14 weeks looking pretty good. Only problem is that they would not make it in a slimmer profile so once it arrived I made a very lite skim cut. I figured four very lite passes would have given me the profile I wanted. First pass and it started to pretzle. Now, that one I could not have sent back. I've reprofiled dozens of military barrels and not a single one showed any inclination to bow, bend or distort.

It looks like your front site could go a bunch lower. They may have to install a shorter height ramp or mill yours and recut the dovetail.

Sounds like a nice rifle over-all. I am working on my own .338 -Mag. I've gone .338 crazy. Just completed the .338-06 which is a dream. And I'm working on the 338 Federal and Win Mag.

I've gone .338 crazy. Just completed the .338-06 which is a dream. And I'm working on the 338 Federal and Win Mag.

The bug bit me as well. I've already started accumulating parts for a 338/06. Maybe a 338 Ultra instead of the H&H on one of the Enfields. One of these days I'll get back to my 80% complete 257 Roberts and be able to leave the range without a bruised shoulder and ego.