Military Firearm Restoration Corner

Something A Little Different

Sailormilan2

• 2 weeks later...

The first one is a Tanker Garand in a Nigerian BM59 stock from Reese Surplus. The stocks are French Walnut. The rifle started out as a Rack Grade Greek return, that had a barrel that was totally shot. It also came with the horrible Greek replacement Beech wood stock. I spent about 4 hours with a Sure Form rasp and wood files to get it to fit and feel right. But, it wasn't inletted properly for a Garand. The only thing I need to do is to refinish the gas cylinder with KG Coatings Flat Black. I just don't want to take the front sight off, as it is pretty much sighted in now. Tanker rebarrel kit itself came Numrich, aka GunPartsCorp.com.

Here are pictures with a matching handgaurd. I have the front handgaurd to match, but I have to cut it down. It looks too nice to cut. I may have to get another one, and cut it down.

post-13-1160342166_thumb.jpg

post-13-1160342181_thumb.jpg

• 1 year later...

Updates on the Tanker and it's brother. Mine is the fixed pistol grip stock and is 308 Win. The Folder is my brother's and is in 30-06. Flash hiders were installed, on the Folder to comply with California law that requires rifles be at least 30" in length, with stock folded, or they are classified as "Assault Weapons". As it is, with the long flash hider, the rifle is 31 1/2" folded length. On mine, with the fixed stock, I modified the flash hider, since it is only in 308 by cutting off about 1 1/4" from the front of the flash hider. (Muzzle flash is about fist size. Smaller than that from a 4" 357 mag.) I often put mine in a folding stock too(is in one now) and it's folded length is 30 1/4". Barely legal.

But, it has all the "nasty, evil" (folding stock, pistol grip, flash hider)features, but is totally legal since it has no detachable magazine.

Tankers7.jpg

The first one is a Tanker Garand in a Nigerian BM59 stock from Reese Surplus. The stocks are French Walnut. The rifle started out as a Rack Grade Greek return, that had a barrel that was totally shot. It also came with the horrible Greek replacement Beech wood stock. I spent about 4 hours with a Sure Form rasp and wood files to get it to fit and feel right. But, it wasn't inletted properly for a Garand. The only thing I need to do is to refinish the gas cylinder with KG Coatings Flat Black. I just don't want to take the front sight off, as it is pretty much sighted in now. Tanker rebarrel kit itself came Numrich, aka GunPartsCorp.com.

Here are pictures with a matching handgaurd. I have the front handgaurd to match, but I have to cut it down. It looks too nice to cut. I may have to get another one, and cut it down.