Military Firearm Restoration Corner

Ooops! Man Did I Fork-up

AzRednek

IPB Image

When I went shooting a few days ago I also brought along my 35 Whelen. However after getting beat darn near senseless and developing a flinching problem trying to sight in my 338 mag I decided not to shoot the Whelen. I threw some loose 38 specials in the box with the Whelen ammo. When I pulled the 38's out, the sheet of paper with the loading notes on the Whelen ammo blew out during the range's shooting session. I couldn't pick the notes up that landed in front of the shooting table until they called a cease fire. Sure enough I forgot to pick them up and left the notes at the range.

Having apx 6 months ago carefully worked my way up to find the max load with three different powders. I loaded up these 97 rounds recently going in reverse, backing off from the max working my way down to find the sweet spot and the most accurate load. I had a diagram on the paper and put the various loads in rows and turned some up and others down.

The options I now have are to pull them but I’m only certain of two powders I can recall using, IMR 4895, IMR 4350. I also used a Hodgdon powder based on a recommended load from the this or another group but I can’t remember the number. I’ve only got apx 40 more pieces of empty brass, so starting from scratch means buying more brass. The only logical option is to use the ammo for practice and start all over again begining with finding the max load then backing off for accuracy. LESSON LEARNED keep notes in a safe place!!

• 2 weeks later...

My friend uses Varget in his 35Whelen,so I should think any of the 4064 class should work.

I once left my loading log at the club range,went back but someone had taken it.Now it stays home.

Another buddy was working up a bunch of loads,so he used ordinary sealed letter evelopes,then wrote the loads on the targets.I have dropped the slip on box that had the two loads at each end,more practice loads.

For painless load work, I use a front rest with a owl ears bag and buuny ears at the back. But I also put three heavy sand bags behind the butt,and look over them. The left hand stays away from the rifle. Checkered bolt knobs get some tape,they chew up the side of your trigger finger.