Military Firearm Restoration Corner

Target/paperpunching Revolver

BEJ

Any suggestions for a new or used centerfire revolver for target shooting ??

For paper punching it is hard to beat the accuracy of the 38 Special. A Ruger Blackhawk in 357 allows one to shoot low powered super accurate hollow based full wadcutters or potent 357's if you decide to hunt with it. My favorite, most accurate handgun but unfortunately to high priced in today's market. A S&W 1955 Target in 45 ACP. At gun shows S&W 38's often show up at good prices, older revolvers just don't have the appeal to the current market as autos do. There are some police trade-ins that look bad from years of holster wear but just haven't been shot alot. The extra bucks for an adjustable sight model if you want to shoot targets will be worth every dime.

I bought a S&W Model 19 about three years ago for $200 and I love it. This is a .357 Mag, but from what I read, older Smiths can't digest a heavy diet of .357s so I shoot 38's 90% of the time. I have no complaints a'tall and would urge you to pick one up if you get the chance.

I bought a S&W Model 19 about three years ago for $200 and I love it. This is a .357 Mag, but from what I read, older Smiths can't digest a heavy diet of .357s so I shoot 38's 90% of the time. I have no complaints a'tall and would urge you to pick one up if you get the chance.

Roscoe hit it right on the head, a Model 19!! I had one years ago and to give you an idea of how long ago. I bought it at Montgomery Wards for apx 125.00. My X-sister-in-law worked there and got it for me with her 10% employee discount. I've heard the same about a heavy diet of 357's but I put hundreds through mine including heavy reloads and never had a problem.

Another to consider if you don't mind used is the S&W Model 15. Same frame and size as the Model 19 but 38's only. There are quite a bit more 15's on the used market as police trade-ins. The Model 19 is a classic demands a good price.

Well, I went down to the local store and they had a new 625, 45ACP, 5" barrel, some full moon clips, and a hundred .45AR cases. I walked out $500 lighter, but this gun should do the trick. Unfortunately, they didn't have any of the .38 or .357 target models on hand or I probably would have picked it up instead of the 45.

The .45 is a nice, but heavy gun, and I should get plenty of deltoid work in the future. Appreciate the responses.

I think you'll love that .45. Its not quite the 1911 that we all want, but I bet you'll sure get good use out of it. .45 ammo is still relatively cheap and if you're a hand loader, I'll bet a box of wadcutters and a can of Bullseye will keep your 625 going bang for a long time.

Several years ago I took the NRA Instructor course with a guy who had won the Virginia State IDPA championship that year. He shot a 625. He let me shoot it, and it was more accurate than any 1911 I had ever shot! What a delight.

Enjoy your new revolver. You got a good 'un.

Clemson