Military Firearm Restoration Corner

Moose Hunt

ken98k

looks like a great trip! any juicy details? my dad left today for canada. this is his 4th trip. he's come home with 2 moose. the first one a tiny bit bigger than yours, and the second a spike. he hit a third (actually on his second trip) but it was not where it was suppose to be when they got there. he hit it, and it went down behind a stump. the stump ate it, apparently.

details, man! details!

This is the 5th and smallest moose that I've shot myself. This one measured 33 ½”. My biggest was 50 ¼”.

On the 17th my partner and I called in 2 considerably larger bulls but didn't shoot because it was getting late and we had seen 10 bulls that day. We decided to hold off until morning, (idiots) figuring they would still be in the area. They weren't.

This bull came in while I was calling a much larger one on the 20th so I dropped him with 1 shot at 60 yards with a 180 grain partition from my 30-06 Ruger (sorry, it's my lightest rifle.) I hit him in the right neck/chest area as he faced me. 0 meat loss.

I’ve attached a couple more photos of the ones we let go. The 1st one is looking through my spotting scope at about ½ mile. We called them in to 320 yards.

[attachmentid=215]

[attachmentid=216]

post-200-1159245332_thumb.jpg

post-200-1159245367_thumb.jpg

Thanks for the pictures Kenny.That center picture looks like a calender.Your pics sure pop up fast.How far did you have to tote your moose to get it to a truck?What was the temperture during the hunt?Is moose as good table fare as elk?I'd like to see a pic of the backstraps.Your a lucky man to get to hunt up there.Jerry

Thanks for the pictures Kenny.That center picture looks like a calender.Your pics sure pop up fast.How far did you have to tote your moose to get it to a truck?What was the temperture during the hunt?Is moose as good table fare as elk?I'd like to see a pic of the backstraps.Your a lucky man to get to hunt up there.Jerry

Had to carry it about 1000 yards to an airstrip.

The temp was a little to warm, 40 at night to 65 a couple of days.

Yes, it's very good eating.

Sorry, it's already cut up and in the freezer!

Yes, I love it here.

a backstrap from a moose is about 3.5 - 4 feet long and 8 or 9 inches across. figure if you have an elk backstrap and almost double it, or about 4 deer backstraps... they're freakin' huge!

when my dad brought his first one home, i went down to help him cut it up. i was whittling on the rear quarter, trying to seperate the muscles into chunks, and i kept running into this freakin bone. i was now cutting through a beautiful piece of meat, trying to cut around the bone. well, turns out i was not cutting on a rear quarter, but the front, and i was hitting the scapula! the quarter was so huge, probably 2.5 + feet across. crazy huge...