Military Firearm Restoration Corner

Garand Op Rod Wear

fritz

Pardon me if this is the wrong place to ask this, but a fellow brought me an otherwise pristine Garand with the op rod jumped off the bolt. It had a spent shell in the chamber.

I cleared the action, after getting the op rod aligned with the bolt again. But there appears to be wear in the slot where the two mate up. I compared it to mine, and there is a noticable "bell" in the slot of the op rod.

Is this a common wear point? I have to confess that I am new to the Garand rifle. I have only had mine for a few months, and it is good and tight.

Is a new op rod in order? Or is there a way to fix this without replacing it?

I will replace the op rod, unless someone says it ain't necessary.

Thanks,

fritz

Fritz,

This is a very common point of wear for the Garands.

It's hard and expensive to find really "new" op rods. The good news is there are guys who reportedly do a good job of rebuilding them..

A guy named Jim Swartz gets good press over at Jouster. Check-out ths link.

Thanks DT,

The fellow who sold me my Garand told me today said that it is indeed a high wear area, and expensive. He said he would probably cannibalize one from his and get the fellow going again, then order one.

I also suspect my friend was using hot ammo. Here's a pic of what he said he had been using, can you identify it----

IPB Image

fritz

It looks like a laquered steel case - definitely not M2 ball.

Garands are tough and reliable...with M2 ball. If you start messing with the gas system, all sorts of bad things start happening.

The CMP has LOTS of M2 available at very reasonable prices. Other than carefully prepared handloads (150 gr bullets, 2500-2800 fps with 4895 or 4064) the surplus ammo is the only thing to shoot in a Garand.

Save the commercial stuff for the bolt actions.

It was laquered steel cases he used. Probably corrosive too.

My friend, the gunsmith, has a new Springfield op rod on order for it. $96 plus shipping. The old op rod did indeed have a piece worn out of it. Since the rest of the rifle is so nice, it is still not a bad deal.

fritz