Military Firearm Restoration Corner

Wildcat Cartridge?

Kyle

Has anyone ever heard of a .338 win mag case necked down to an 8mm bullet? I've never seen any info about a cartridge like that but I've heard that it would produce about the same results as 8x68S.

It sounds like it would be a great choice if you wanted to have something inbetween .300 win mag and .338 win mag.

Anyone ever tried something like this or heard of it being done?

If I was to buy a Mauser in 8x57 to sporterize could I use the original barrel for this cartridge?

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...

hello kyle, i've built a 8mm-300win mag with a 8x57 barrel on lr m98 action. it produced with a 180gr nos bt a 335fps mv with 3 shot 1.5" group at 150 yds. works great. the reason i used a 300win mag case is that i had 350 case extra plus a 300mag reamer. the 338 case will feed a little better cause they are .120" shorter. enjoy the challenge my friend the pwr from either one will equal the 8x68s. Dave PS i almost forgot, the mv's i've achieved was also with a 29" barrel. the 23-24b will be less.