Military Firearm Restoration Corner

Barrel Problem

spec4 e4

Ok, I have two PH barrel that I am using for projects. I have an machine shop that will turn them down, but they said that I have to weld the muzzle up for insurance reason, not an problem. The barrel will be recrown at 24" My question is that welding on the muzzle will damage the whole barrel?

Thanks

spec.4

Guest fiream29

My first reaction would be to suggest you find another machinist. One who's more comfortable working on firearm parts. If that's not feasible, get a complete and thorough description of the method and type (mig, tig, stick, etc.) of welding this fellow is planning on doing and then call Parker-Hale and ask them directly. That would be a lot safer and possibly even less expensive and dangerous than relying on the advice of nameless, faceless entities that may or may not have the knowledge needed to make a safe, viable recommendation. I'm sure no one here would intentionally mislead you but I've seen way too many posts particularly in the C&R forums where well meaning people are giving what amounts to legal advice that could easily cost someone their life savings, their weapons, and possibly even their freedom. Forums are a great tool for the exchange of tips, tricks, and advice but when it comes to areas that could involve safety or the law you have to step back and ask yourself just how sure you are the info you're getting is reliable PARTICULARLY when they are telling you "yeah sure, go ahead, It'll be ok". Just my two cents.

fiream29

Guest Uncle Remus

Like the other fellow said.....find someone else to do the threading, the guy you are dealing with sounds a tad too cautious.....either that or he's using the weld story to jack up the price.

Weld the muzzle... why pray tell, so it doesn't fire?!!! Sounds like a chickensh*t operation that doesn't know squat about guns. I'd like to see if that's actually stated in his policy or if he's making it up. I find it hard to believe people that are that ignorant.

I'm with the others, find a real gunsmith or somebody else to do the work.

Please elaborate on what you mean by "turn them down?" Are the barrels going to be recontoured or just threaded?

I have gotten the barrels short chamber, had 0.02" removed from the shoulder. Then I recut the welded ends of by 1/2", then I clean up the end using an file. Barrel will be shorten to 26-3/16, then recess the crown to 3/16 deep. I only paid $23.00 to have it done. $20.00 for the shop and an $3.00 tip for doing it for me. Only had $23.00 on me. First rifle is almost done and looking for an ATI stock for the 2nd barrel action. biggrin.gif

I would like to thank everyone including Z1R for all their advise and help.

spec.4

Guest Guest_roscoedoh_*

I don't understand why anyone needs to weld on your barrel. Welding on a barrel is in my book, a no-no. Machinists have been machining barrels for a long time without welding the end of them up and I cannot see why yours needs to now. If your machinist is not comfortable working on a barrel, I recommend you find another - even at a greater cost if need be. Its extra work to cut off and recrown a barrel, especially when its unnecessary. Another thing to keep in mind is when you weld on a barrel, you can tweak it slightly and affect its accuracy. Therefore, although the price is right, if it were my barrel, I'm afraid I'd have to respectfully decline and take my business elsewhere.

spec4 e4

Since you don't list your location in your bio, could it be that you are in the People's Republic of Kalifornia?

If so, that would explain the stupid idea of welding the muzzle shut!

fritz

I'm not so sure I'd be respectful (I'm not Southern). I'd call him a weinie and walk out. Those are nice, well-crafted barrels and don't need Al Gorish weinies heating them up. Any machinist worth paying cannot also be a weinie. Man, the weinies of this world piss me off.

Guest Guest_z1r_*

spec4,

I suspect that since you cut off the welded area you should suffer no ill affects provided you have a good crown and the threads were cut squarely. It is strange that they would deal with the matter in this way but alas this is what our society has become. How may I ask are you recrowning the barrel? This is the most important aspect of "fixing" the welded end.

z1r, I am not set up for recrown yet, when I send the barrel action out to Low Tech to have an new bolt handle put on I will have them recrown the barrel. Looking to have an target crown put back on.

Thanks

spec.4

spec4e4

I know its too late now but you should have sent your rifle to Low Tech in the first place. I feel sure you would have gotten your rifle the way you wanted it without all this welding foolishness. But there will be more opportunities. With mausers there are always more opportunities!

carzngunz, I know what you are saying, but I would like to do my own work and I am learning as I go along the way. I did not want an 26" barrel. I wanted an 24" barrel because of my wife will be using one. and the other is an back up in case something happen to the primary ones. Since I can not weld on bolt handles yets, Low Tech will get them and they can recrown the barrels to 24-3/16" with an recess crown of 3/16 to protect the muzzle. So you see, I had no problems doing the weld up, becuase still it would have been cut off in the long run. And I learn how to chamber an rifle, or I would like to say two rifle. smile.gif

spec.4