Military Firearm Restoration Corner

Anyone Else Following This Story?

Kyle

Mark Foley

Anyone else hear about Mark Foley, the now former Republican Congressman from Florida who it turns out was interested in homo-sexual acts with under-aged boys?

This guy was actually in charge of the committee for missing and exploited children!

The most deplorable thing is that the Republican leadership admittedly knew about his "activities" for several years and failed to do anything about it for fear of damaging their image!!! Wow, I can't believe that party that is supposed to stand up for morals put children at risk from this pervert for fear of looking bad!

Mark Foley

Anyone else hear about Mark Foley, the now former Republican Congressman from Florida who it turns out was interested in homo-sexual acts with under-aged boys?

This guy was actually in charge of the committee for missing and exploited children!

The most deplorable thing is that the Republican leadership admittedly knew about his "activities" for several years and failed to do anything about it for fear of damaging their image!!! Wow, I can't believe that party that is supposed to stand up for morals put children at risk from this pervert for fear of looking bad!

So far there is no proof that any "boy" was underage. I say that 18 is still too young to engage in any sex act, but at least it is legal, and the age of consent in DC is 16.

As far as "knowing about his activities" I don't understand where you got that idea. So far the only story that has been confirmed is that one staffer talked to another staffer as well as the family of a former page.

So far no criminal charges have been brought against Foley. Let us not get too worked up about what is the job of the FBI and a grand jury to figure out. I don't mean to be flippant, but "innocent until proven guilty" still is a part of the law right?

I'm not defending Foley, what he DID do is despicable, but so are a lot of legal activities like partial birth abortion, and if he did ANYTHING illegal he needs to answer for that. However, the same Democrats and Main Stream Media sources that are crying over "Bush ripping up habeus corpus" are trying Foley by the court of public opinion, and demanding Hastert step down WITHOUT ANY PROOF OF WRONGDOING ON THE SPEAKERS PART.

No one demanded Tip O'Neill step down, and O'Neill had several scandals in his party during his decade as Speaker. Heck, O'Neill had Charlie Wilson, a congressman constantly embroiled in scandal, put on the ethics committee just so that he could get Murtha out of a bribery/corruption scandal.

So yeah, I've been following it a little bit.

Jimro

hell. Tip O'Neill had a dem named Studs (SP) who had sex with the page boy, was called on it, told the House and the press to go to hell, said it was HIS business and kept his seat in the house.

Tip did not do a dam thing about it.

I can't believe that party that is supposed to stand up for morals put children at risk from this pervert for fear of looking bad!

As for putting "children at risk" the e-mails were a few years old ...why did the dems sit on them?

Could it be that THEY, the Dems, were willing to "put kids at risk" to curry favor with the "GAY" wing of their party or to keep a political advantage???

karl

If you please,

Give me a break!

Do you think he would have resigned if he is truly a saint? If the only pages he googled were over 18?

Give me a break, please. It's one thing to protect the party, and quite another to defend a pervert!

As a poster said on another forum---Truth, Productivity, and Accountability.

fritz

Give me a break, please. It's one thing to protect the party, and quite another to defend a pervert!

fritz,

I'm not defending the perv. I'm just glad he left!

Hopefully the rapid exit will avoid a series of multi-million dollar (tax-payer funded, lawyer-enriching) investigations and a COMPLETE waste of our time. We don't have to worry about the possibility of having to pay for the testing of some "soiled" piece of clothing.

Most importantly of all, we're quickly rid of a "leader" that seems to be preoccupied by interests other than leadership and real responsibilities.

And, thankfully, it seems that the young men involved will emerge with reputations intact. Hopefully they'll make good use of this opportunity.

You know, I get to wondering (and that's a bad thing) sometimes about all the perverts and weirdoes coming out of the woodwork in the last few years. Is it that there were always perverts (in government) and we just never heard of them?

Is our news reporting so much better now that we learn of these sick people? In Mayberry there was only a drunk and an occasional bully.

In the old days, we said "please" and "thank you". We said grace (and it wasn't Ann). We were shown the difference between right and wrong (by parents that made damned sure of it).

I guess a few of the not so desirable people got elected to public office, it happened. All that got elected were not saints (getting votes from the graveyard was popular once).

But life was simple then. We fought wars and won (until Korea and Nam). Maybe that's when things began to change. It seems so much more complicated today.

Our kids take guns to school today (sometimes to defend themselves). We played marbles and set you back. The only drug we used was an occasional sneaked cigarette or bottle of homebrew in the parking lot.

And sometimes the principal caught us.

That was the worst time in the life of a teenager, when we got taken to the principal's office. I have to admit that I was there several times. But I got over it. I went on to better things. Maybe having parents that I respected had something to do with it.

Or a principal that I also respected.

What does all this have to do with Mark Foley? What does it have to do with the GOP leadership that put him under their wing all this time?

I wish I knew. Maybe someone here can enlighten me about why the USA has become just another Peyton Place!

fritz

An older man I knew when growing up would go into town and buy the teenagers cigaretts just to try and get them to hang around him.We found out later he put the move on a couple fellers and they spilled the beans.He owned a nice farm and had a wife and one daughter.His brother,that owned a much larger farm,ranch really,had one son way late in life,and that son never took any interest in the ranch or being out with his Dad.He'd rather stay home and make cookies with Mom.My grandmother said he had a girly side to him and she worried about him.I didn't know what she meant at the time.That boy left home right out of school and went to Washington to be a page.Strange that they were uncle and nephew.The lady at work that runs our tool crib is a lesbian,and she's one of the best friends I've ever had.Why can I overlook a woman being bent that way and consider a man as being severely twisted?Maybe the Washington queers will take this mud slinging right at election time as a warning that goober grabbing young boys is a career ending risk.It didn't hurt Studs,but he was a Democrat,they have a diffen't set of rules, and I don't think it was near election time.Jerry

The difference is the Republican perv left office, his party rejected him in disgrace.

The Dem perv kept office. His party rallied around him and debated the meaning of "IS".

They ARE NOT THE SAME.

karl

Karl,

I thought that I had read that the GOP had indeed covered up for Foley, for a time anyway.

A coverup, regardless of how long, is still wrong.

Now, let's not forget Tom DeLay, and the delay.

Hell, we all still believe Nixon was not a crook (as he so often stated). Some of us, anyway.

fritz

There is no "proof" of a coverup by GOP leadership, just a bunch of accusations by democrats.

The incident that the leadership "knew" about was taken care of with the pages parents, and obeying their wishes they kept everything low key. Remember this story is old news recently leaked.

Jimro

There is no "proof" of a coverup by GOP leadership, just a bunch of accusations by democrats.

The incident that the leadership "knew" about was taken care of with the pages parents, and obeying their wishes they kept everything low key. Remember this story is old news recently leaked.

Jimro

Tell that to the voters on November 7, I doubt if it will be of much use on them. What goes round comes round.

fritz

What goes round comes round

Right. If the Democrats become more influential we can expect more expensive investigations, and felony perjuries.

It's coming around again unless we can talk sense into our fellow voters.

Do we taxpayers deserve this somehow (the answer YES for those who vote for a Democrat)?

"What Goes Around Comes Around"....

The "Republican Revolution" came about because the Democrats couldn't deliver any of their promises, except the AWB (thank God for the sunset clause).

Right now the Republicans are looking pretty good as far as policy, so the Foley scandal gets broken to take the spotlight off of the real issues.

The problem with a democracy is that we get the government we deserve.

Jimro

"Right now the Republicans are looking pretty good "

That contradicts the public opinion polls, not only recently but for the last 2 years. And a new election is looming on the horizon.

uncle sam

That contradicts the public opinion polls, not only recently but for the last 2 years. And a new election is looming on the horizon.

So what do we get if the dems win?

Gun bans...more tax..open..for real borders...defeat ...and disgrace...More gays and Teddy K.

wonderful : (

karl