Military Firearm Restoration Corner

7.62x54r Loads.

usmc0332

I am just getting started loading for my M-N. I have some RL15, and a smidge left of Varget and H4895. I am giving .308 180 grain bullets a try to start. I loaded 45grn of RL15 and was hitting about 16 inches low, compared to Wolf Gold. I haven't slugged the bore. The Silver Bear 203grn softpoints that I have had good results with mic at .309. I will probably wind up with some 180grn .310 Sierras if I need to, but I am 50miles from any type of store with components, and I have Winchester 180grn softpoints. Thanks

I tried what I have and had mixed results. The best group I shot was with Varget near max, 180grn Winchester sortpoint. I only loaded 3 rounds of each, but I shot a 1 1/2" 3 shot group with this load. The rest with RL15, H4895, and some with 165grn Remington PSP bullets were poor groups.

Use the .311 bullets. Your groups will tighten up even more. RL15 is real close to Varget on the burn rate. If it does not like one powder, it will like the other. I shoot the 174gr HPBT match 311's out of mine with RL15 and I found that with this bullet and powder, it liked a Mag primer. Try to seat the bullets out as far as you can go to get them to touch the rifling. If you can not get to the lands, seat the bullet into the case to 1/2 of the diameter of the bullet.