Military Firearm Restoration Corner

Moly Coated Bullets Question

AzRednek

Can anybody tell me what the advantage is in using moly coated bullets?? I understand that they might extend barrel life but does it give any advantage as far as accuracy or any other advantages?? A few years ago I got some moly coated store-bought 45 cal cast lead pistol bullets. I bought them because the price was right because they were an odball slug. They did shoot well and I couldn't find any indication of barrel leading even in my 1917 S&W with a couple of barrel pits. The moly eliminated the need for conventional wax/grease lube and according to the gunshow vendor's claim, sizing is not as critical. He also made a claim of the moly building up in the bore, working like a graphite type dry lube that causes barrels to remain cooler during extended shooting. I can see the moly having an advantage over wax/grease type lubes with cast lead pistol bullets as far as using store-bought cast slugs. Seems to me it would be to much messy work to do it myself. I can't see what, if any advantage they mave have over jacketed rifle bullets. Can anybody enlighten me or is moly alot of hoopla??

From what I have been told.

One the pressures will be lower due to the bullet sliding down the barrel easier. You will lose speed because of less friction. You will have to add more powder to make up the speed loss.

Make sure the bore is completely free off copper before you shoot anything moly in it. The moly will trap the copper and will corrode under the moly. Don't shoot copper over moly, it will layer and will be a pain in the arse to remove.

I have also heard of increased throat wear, more than likely from the increase in powder charge.

It also will build up just as copper will and your accurracy will start to go to hell. It is a lot harder to remove than copper.

My experiance with it. Very messy. If you get it on your fingers, anything you touch will have fingerprints on it. What ever you do, don't pick your nose after handling moly bullets. I used to put it on FMJ's for my AR. I did a lot! of shooting with it. Over 10K a year for 3 years. This barrel had very significant throat wear when I had a new barrel put on it. Did it help? I don't know. I had put about 3K threw the new barrel with no moly before I got rid of it. So I can't say if it helped.

I cleaned the barrel every 1K rounds with JB and Kroil to remove the crud. Then ran a new patch that had moly on it to reapply it to the barrel.

Most of the info that I have heard about this stuff was from guys that shoot BR. One will swear by it, the next will swear at it. Good luck with whatever you want to use.

Thx Tomme, think I'm going to pass on using them. I was talking to a neighbor's friend about a possible get-together and doing some coyote hunting. This guy is a hard core varmit hunter and swears by them using them in 22-250 ans 25/06. He uses a tumbler, coats his own bullets and said he has to use rubber gloves when handling them. I just don't have the patience to do my own and was considering some store-bought moly slugs.