Military Firearm Restoration Corner

Anybody Heard Of These?

Sailormilan2

There are a couple of unusual Mauser barrels for sale on eBay. One marked "8mm Express" and apparently is a belted magnum. It might be interesting but is on a short light barrel, 20". Portable flamethrower.

The second looks more interesting. It is possibly a 8mm Peterlongo. It might be kind of interesting if someone could find brass for it. 8mm Peterlongo is 8mm x 71mm. Rim diameter is slightly smaller than a standard rim at .468".

I wonder if -06 basic brass would work?

http://cgi.ebay.com/GUN-PART-Mauser-98-8mm...1QQcmdZViewItem

http://cgi.ebay.com/Custom-98-Mauser-barre...1QQcmdZViewItem

I saw that Express barrel last night. Two things struck me: First, he claims the muzzle diameter to be something like .450". That would leave about .050" wall thickness. Second, who the heck woul want a 20" magum barrel. Just my purely biased opinion mind you, lol.

The second is interesting but it could be any number of cartridges ranging from the 8x60 to the 8x75S. I would think the 8x71 and 8x75 would be too long for a standard 98 without opening up the magazine length. The 8x75 is listed at 3.5" thus the 8x71 being 4mm shorter might end up at an OAL of 3.343". And I'd query the seller as to bore diameter, .318" vs .323". I would imagine brass & dies for the 8x71 and 8x75 would be darned expensive.

Thanks for clearing that up. The nosler book shows the 8x57 propelling a 200 at 2600+. Hardly seems worth the effort. But then again, it would be kinda kool to be able to say. I have a peter longo! I wonder how many laughs that'll get you? Better yet, how many dirty looks?

My mentor seems to think my guild gun was originally chambered for the 8x75.

You gonna bid?

Alledgedly a .375 H&H duplicate in a shorter package. the round is supposed to be beltless, utilising the .532 rim size and case head. this gives it more capacity than a belted case of the same size would. God only knows when/if it will come out. Still, it sounds an interesting cartridge. Almost like a wildcat based off the 8x68 case but slightly larger.

Well, I already have a 376 Steyr, which is very close to a 375 H&H, without the belt. I read somewhere that its case is supposed to be based on the 7x64 Brenneke, but I haven't looked it up yet. My 376 is built on a heavy barrel from Shaw, and that really dampens the recoil. I think it kicks less than my 35 Whelen.

At this point if you were set on a .375 in a mauser I'd opt for the styer. Lots of factory ammo still, cheap dies, hard hitter. If not, then I'd got 9.3x64. Less factory ammo but helluva cartridge. Or, wait and see what the Ruger turns out to be.

At this point if you were set on a .375 in a mauser I'd opt for the styer. Lots of factory ammo still, cheap dies, hard hitter. If not, then I'd got 9.3x64. Less factory ammo but helluva cartridge. Or, wait and see what the Ruger turns out to be.

Yes, I was pretty much leaning toward the Steyr until you mentioned the Ruger.

I think Sailor did his 376 on a yugo 24/47 or 48.

They are perfect for the intermediate actions. I don't see why one wouldn't work in a standard either.

Me, I'm doing the hard one, the 9.3x64. I got a barrel in 9.3x62 that is heavier than I wanted so I am rechambering to 9.3x64. Oh Yeah! I may just make my M24 Yugo acton into a Steyr for fun. I don't know what else I'd build with it. Hmm. Shame on you!

I built mine a Brno 98/22 and my brother's on a VZ24. I was going to build one on a Yugo, but I had problem with the particular one I was using getting 4 rounds in the mag, so I went to a full size action.

I have a spare Yugo I am considering building one on using an A&B barrel, which has a lighter contour than the Shaw, and cutting the barrel back to 22" instead of the 24" I am using now.

Midway has their A&B barrel blanks on sale this month, unfortunately, non in 375 cal.

Mine is the one on the bottom.

post-13-1161266698_thumb.jpg

post-13-1161266713_thumb.jpg