Military Firearm Restoration Corner

Mouse Problems

manureman

A couple weeks back while working on my flue and furnace I messed around and left the cleanout door on the flue open for a couple days,its right at ground level, I also had the stove pipe off that runs from the furnace through the basement wall into the flue and we got mice in the house.I've tried everything short of poison and cats to get rid of them and can't .I've got out a DOZEN traps baited with bread,cheese and peanut butter and they wont bother them at all.A few nights back I put out some of them glue traps and one got into one of those but got out.I'm not into cats and I don't want to poison them in the house.have you'all got any super secret mouse trap baits? or other suggestions?I've never had any trouble in the past traping the little farts but these aint havin' any part of it and momma ain't a bit happy with me so PLEASE HELP! I don't mind the mice so bad but you'all know the sayin'....If momma aint happy,aint NOBODY happy....Thanks Jim

Jim,

I get them in my mobile home all the time. All I can tell you is keep doing what you're doing. If this fails, buy some poison called HAVOC next time you're at the ag & vet supply. Most rodent poisons work by thinning the critters' blood to the point that it kills them. This is a cumulative effect and takes a while. Havoc seems to drop them with just a couple bites. The trouble is that the stuff works so well its getting hard to find.

Keep after them; you'll get 'em.

Jason

If they are not taking the bait they likely have a food source. Try and figure out what they are eating and eliminate it. I had the same problem untill I figured out they were getting into the dry dog food. I put the dog food into a plastic garbage can with a tight lid and they started biting on the traps the next day.

They like to run along the edges of the walls, make sure the traps are tight to the wall and the mice have to go in the trap or around it. We use unbaited trap along the walls in the cabin up north with good luck. When we bait them the dog likes to get her nose in them.

-Don

might try one of these...

http://www.dixiegunworks.com/product_info....oducts_id=11582

at least it would be entertaining...

LOL I saw that too! I almost bought one. Who wouldn't be a bit tempted to "modify" it a bit.

I had a problem with rats running through my back yard last winter and this spring. After growing tired of emptying traps I bought a bait station that looks like a rock. Not only did that end my large rodent sightings but I have'nt seen any signs of mice in the garage this year either.

I found traps for both rodents work best with peanut butter placed against a wall or other barrier like a fence.