Military Firearm Restoration Corner

receiver hardening?

fmsniper

(6/11/05 22:48)

receiver hardning?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

As many of you know I am sitting here in a country were civilians cannot own fire arms S. Korea. The way they drive it might be a good thing. Anyhow I bought a DVD on ebay for the hell of it, AGI ( how to blue print and re-barrel a Mauser bolt action)

After watching the DVD I realized that I knew and did 99% of everything showed....but Money was not waisted I did learn 1 or 2 things..He did mention that it is absolutely critical to have the receiver and bolt re-hardend after.....I have never done that...what about you guys?

I di also learn about recoil shoulders in the mag box and adjusting the claw extractor for a magnum, other than that nothing much else..

Edited by: fmsniper at: 6/11/05 22:49

fritz

The Gentleman Farmer

(6/11/05 23:12)

Reply Re: receiver hardning?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Well, some do and some don't.

I don't.

fritz

"It seems like yesterday, but it was long ago---we were young and strong and running against the wind"

Elarski

(6/12/05 0:00)

Reply Re: receiver hardning?

Thanks for the info on hardening... something to consider.

By the way, what ever happened with your video project?

It is better to die standing, than to live on one's knees.

donmarkey

(6/12/05 6:32)

Reply receiver hardning

Who was the instructor, Darrel Holland?. I seen the new title and was interrested in more info. What was the other interresting topics that came up?

Don

z1r

(6/12/05 10:34)

Reply Re: receiver hardning

The guy on the viedo, Bob Dunlap is one of the guys I studied under.

Bottom line is, if you find a heat treater that KNOWS what they are doing with respect to carbon augmentation & heat treating of mausers get it done. Otherwise, leave it as is. Worst thing that will happen if you don't get the receiver hardened is setback, sometimes rather quickly too.

Problem we had is that they recomended this but there were no treaters willing to do the work. Too many have been scared off by hacks not knowing what he hell they were doing then threatening to sue.

Though not the best, Blanchards is the only one I can recommend at this time. They have been doing this for a long time, won't screw things up. Heck, even Kuhnhausen recomends them.

Clarkma

(6/12/05 12:41)

Reply Re: receiver hardning

I have never had rehardened, but of the 50 or 60 Mausers I have taken apart, I just found one with set back this week: a 1903 Turk Mauser.

I might cross section the reciever and test the hardness, or sell it, or just put it in storage.

Anyway, I have seen set back, and it could be hardness issue.