Military Firearm Restoration Corner

Building A Magnum?

Kyle

I've heard a lot about things like opening the bolt face, modifying the feed ramp, etc when dealing with magnum conversions but I don't really understand the process.

Does anyone have a link showing the process of a magnum build?

If not does someone possibly have step by step photos of their magnum build?

How difficult is it really if you have the proper equipment and good instructions? Is it something that would be easy to mess up?

I can't be of much help,if any.I've put together a few rifles but I'm just getting started on my first magnum conversion and if it werent for the fact that it is going to be a gift to someone that wants a magnum,I'd not mess with it at all.I've kind of been following your post and think that a book by R.A. Walsh titled Mauser M98 and M96 how to build your favorite custom rifle might be of help to you. z1r doesn't think much of it but I think the reason for the difference in our opinions on the book is he has forgot more about this than I'll ever know,and I need all the info I can lay my hands on.It has somewhat of a blueprint of both standard and magnum actions and I wont try to tell you its perfect or even close as I don't know but its in there.The book also comes with a set of blueprints for action wrenches ,barrel vises and several other tools you might find usefull as I remember you mentioning access to machine tools. Jim

I converted a VZ24 to 300 Win mag, and it was not that hard.

I milled out the mag well for 3.34" cartridges tipping over.

I took some off the extractor hook.

I took some off the bolt face.

I took some off the feed lips.

One mistake I made was getting it to feed with 220 gr round nose, which I have zillions of, so I made dummies.

The problem later was the gap between the mag well and the feed ramp, due to thick after market stock, was ok with round nose, but could hang up a Barnes tripple shock pointy tip.

All in all it was a fun project, and I even got a 300WM reamer.

The .223 conversion of Mausers was a real pain for me in comparison especially the extractor