Military Firearm Restoration Corner

Re-threading This Barrel?

Kyle

They are kinda too small to make even a sr barrel of high intensity, safely! I have one , and upon inspection, and asking, I forgot about the minimum dia. [inside the threads]! I would however , like to see one done,, just to satisfy my curiosity!! MV

Is it possible to re-thread a barrel from a Winchester late model 70 rifle to fit a LR mauser? If not how about a SR mauser?

Well that depends on what combination you have and how much you are willing to do.

Lets go thru them one at a time.

Fetatherweight Controled Round Feed, to any Mauser , I don't think so.

Featherweight Push Feed to Large ring, no. To a small ring, you can cut the small ring threads over

the Winchester threads. Some guys have done it, other guys frown upon it.

Std sporter Controled Round Feed OR Push feed can be rethreaded to large ring Mauser IF

you cut off the Winchester threads and deepen the chamber by what you cut off in length of threads.

Now If you are going to make a .308 Mauser from a .30-06 Winchester this isn't such a problem.

When I'm saying "Std sporter" , I'm refering to the barrel profile that has about 1.25" of straight

cylinder about 1.2" D over the chamber. When you are done rethreading, it looks almost exactly

like a Remingnton.

Finely, what ever Winchester you can turn into a Large Ring Mauser , you can turn into a small ring.

Tinker

Thanks Tinker,

I don't know much about the barrel besides that it is from a late model Model 70, is 24 inches long and it is in .338 Win Mag. I'm hoping I can use it with a large ring action since I know people mostly frown upon building a small-ring magnum.

Here are some photos:

post-460-1163368687_thumb.jpg

post-460-1163368696_thumb.jpg

Thanks Tinker,

I don't know much about the barrel besides that it is from a late model Model 70, is 24 inches long and it is in .338 Win Mag. I'm hoping I can use it with a large ring action since I know people mostly frown upon building a small-ring magnum.

Here are some photos:

DOoo!!! (like Homer S.)

Of course you'd want to do it with a magnum.

Yes that is the std sporter that I was referring to.

You'd have to cut off those threads then rethread.

BEFORE you bother measure the OD of the barrel at

the point where the body of the cartridge turns down

to the shoulder ( where the barrel will be thinest )

at the new position ( pushed forward by amount of

threads cut off)

then subtract the diameter of the cartridge and you'd

better have a difference greater then .5 so that your

wall thickness is greater than .25.

Tinker

Interesting, the minor diameter of the threads produce an effective chamber wall of something considerably less than .250". There was a thread a while back. It's closer to .180" if I remember right.