Military Firearm Restoration Corner

Brownells Classic Rust Blue

sonic1

Enlighten please. Is this something you needed other chemicals and acids to do? Or is $12.50 the whole deal? Same as other rust blue - wipe on, wire wheel off the rust, wipe on...etc? Steaming tanks? I know nothing about rust bluing other than what I read on here.

yes this is a rust blue process..polish with 320 grit .....boil in a good cleaning solution to remove all the oil.

wipe with clean shop towel...then i boil again in clean water wear latex gloves to keep all oil off the parts..

wipe on a very thin coat of this solution ,let it set over night ....it will have a red rust covering on parts....

boil in water for 20-30 min..it will turn black ..then use 0000 steel wool that you have degreased..to remove,

reapply again and let set .....any were fron 4 to 8 times will produce a real nice blue job...

there are many ways and variation as to how you can do all of this ...heat and humidity play a big part...

there are whole books wrote on the process..this was just a short high light on how its done...

brownell send a nice pamplet with each bottle..

in a nut shell you can get very a very nice blue job at home ..with a small setup..

the metal restoration, processes forum here has some good info about rust bluing

Thanks a bunch. I'll dig into the metal restoration process forums. I was about resigned to going with a Phos & Duracoat finish for this Turk just to hide the poor surface. The more I stone - the more little rough spots appear. Another month or so and I'll have a small ring! It's finally starting to come around and now I'm leaning towards a smooth satin blue. I like the rust blue guns I see in the members pics, just figured I couldn't get this thing good enough.

swampr,

You can boil water in a tea kettle and rotate the barrel or part in the stream of steam to soften the rust. Boiling may be more convenient, but if you don't have a container big enough, steaming works fine.

Does it matter what type of pan you use for boiling? I have a galvanized drain pan that is big enough to hold a barrel but will the galvanize affect the finish?

Swamprat

A little muricatic acid will take that zinc right off. Just exercise caution and don't breath in the fumes. Fumes never seem to be good for you.

i was using pilkingtons and have for years..but i thought i"d try the brownells...after the second gun...i ordered 2 more bottles just to make sure i could get it..thats how much i like it...but this is just me..i think

its a deeper blue and gives faster results...now it will be sometime before i know how will it wears.it applys

the same way