Military Firearm Restoration Corner

Want To Build A Long Range Rifle

archer2

I have a turk K Kale action and I want to build something to play the long distance game with,....not for competition, just for fun.

I'm thinking of changing out the barrel, etc. but I dont have a lathe or a mill. Can it be done with only minimal tools?

Suggestions greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Jim

yes it can....as i see it your biggest problem is unscrewing and remounting barrel..your going to need to make something for this...do you have access to a welder? if you don"t hold the action correctly you can twist it ,making it unusable..do some web surfing and read up on this part of the job..you can buy a short chambered barrel and adjust the head space as needed.. what caliber and stock do you have in mind?

you are using a k kale so i will throw in this site for you to look at..

http://www272.pair.com/stevewag/mmrifle/mmrifle.html

jim what state are you in?

yes it can....as i see it your biggest problem is unscrewing and remounting barrel..your going to need to make something for this...do you have access to a welder? if you don"t hold the action correctly you can twist it ,making it unusable..do some web surfing and read up on this part of the job..you can buy a short chambered barrel and adjust the head space as needed.. what caliber and stock do you have in mind?

you are using a k kale so i will throw in this site for you to look at..

http://www272.pair.com/stevewag/mmrifle/mmrifle.html

jim what state are you in?

I'm in Georgia.

I do not have immediate access to a welder, and I have never welded. As far a caliber is concerned, I would love it in 308, but I'm not sure the K Kale can handle it. If not, I'm thinking 7mm mauser or 6.5X55. As far as the stock, I have an ATI that I'm doing a FMSniper kinda thing with. I have a 2.5-10X50mm scope, luepold base and rings. I am familiar with Steve wagners site, and have done the bolt mod to this mauser using the grade 8 bolt, and a plastic knob of my own manufacture. I guess I need to find an action wrench, a set of go/nogo gauges, and a chamber reamer for tools and a barrel, preferably a target/bull barrel.

i think its going to be hard to find a target /bull barrel threaded for a small ring..one way to go is a f54 or f99

a and b blank .......http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.exe/showproduct?saleitemid=121851{cut and paste}

and get someone to thread it to fit....but it is not chambered and for this you"ll need a lathe or pay someone...have you removed the front lip on the k kale?

What kind of condition is the 8mm barrel in? Sierra makes a new 200 grain HPBT bullet for target work. There is also a 220 grain SPBT bullet for hunting. If you've got a good barrel, you might shorten it to say, 24-26 inches, and give that a try first before expending a bunch of cash. The 8x57 can be very accurate. Those heavy BT bullets would give you great retained velocities at long range. It could certainly be loaded to exceed the capability of the .308 Win, which is generally considered a good long-range target round.

Bob

I'm in Georgia.

I do not have immediate access to a welder, and I have never welded. As far a caliber is concerned, I would love it in 308, but I'm not sure the K Kale can handle it. If not, I'm thinking 7mm mauser or 6.5X55. As far as the stock, I have an ATI that I'm doing a FMSniper kinda thing with. I have a 2.5-10X50mm scope, luepold base and rings. I am familiar with Steve wagners site, and have done the bolt mod to this mauser using the grade 8 bolt, and a plastic knob of my own manufacture. I guess I need to find an action wrench, a set of go/nogo gauges, and a chamber reamer for tools and a barrel, preferably a target/bull barrel.

do yourself a favor and get a M98, VZ24 or M48, then your apotions are more broad, 6.5x55 or 308 will be fine.

if you are going to stick with the turk you can get a New 6.5x55 Sweade barrel from sarco and mount it on the turk

here is one I did a time ago on a turk, if I remember it was a 29 inch barrel

IPB Image

ER Shaw will thread a barrel for the small ring threads if you tell them that you have the Turk action. They are fairly reasonable also.

You might also think about having the barrel chambered long so that all you will need to find are some headspace guages. Being from GA. you shouldn't have too much problem finding a local machinist to set the shoulder back on the barrel. It only takes a few minutes of work. If you ask around, especially friends and co-workers, I am sure you will find someone who would be glad to help out.

Where do you live? i have a lathe and i can help

I live near Savannah, GA........................

Thinking about just working with the 8mm barrel. I had previously cut it off at about 24" and recrowned the barrel, but I have not fired it yet. Will look into loads for the 8mm.........................

Do you reload?

The throats tend to be eroded from the corrosive ammo.

A good fix for a not too bad throat, and one that would meet your "long range"

requirement would be to rechamber to 8mm-06.

You can do it by hand with what you already have.

You may need to work on feeding the longer case but that can

usually be done with a dremmel.