Military Firearm Restoration Corner

My Muledeer Hunt Nears

Horsefly

Saturday morning at 4:30 I head to the Mex. border for my 5th muledeer hunt there,and am whizzing down both legs.I'll be there until the following Saturday.Last year I shot a pile of quail,a nice buck,and 2 javelina.This year I'm more excited about the quail than the deer.I meant to put a new scope on my lightweight Swede,but reckon I've run out of time.Jerry

My guess is Fly is hunting this side of the border. Personal ownership of any firearms is now prohibited in Mexico unless one gets a special permit. The dentist I was seeing in Mexico told me soldiers came to his door and took his guns shortly after the law went into effect. My guess is their permit system operates like the rest of the Mexican govt, probably requires a series of bribes. It used to be when firearms ownership was allowed that the Mexican citizen could not have a gun that used the same ammo as their military and later any military. Best I recall from what I read 9MM, 38 Spec, 45ACP handguns were prohibited. I remember reading that 38 Super and 30/30 were the most popular rounds there.

As far as crossing the border with guns it requires a permit from the Mexican consulate after proof of purchase of a canned hunt. Best I recall you can’t cross with ammo, it has to be purchased locally. About 4 or 5 years ago there was numerous media coverage in Arizona warning that Mexicans were arresting US citizens if any ammo or even expended cartridges were discovered in vehicle inspections.

We are hunting on this side of the river.Sometimes we cross over the border to do a little shopping,and believe it or not,sometimes there are things you can't get in Pesidio,but you can across the river,such as screw in fuses for the house we stay in and propane.You can still get R12 freon there for 1.50 a can.Your not suppose to bring back across,but it's not even questioned.AZ's right about the ban on any guns that use a shell used anywhere in the world for military.That means 30-06,308,45-70,30-40krag,223,and then all the rest of the worlds ammo.I've heard of dudes getting into bad jambs having a .22 hull in the back of their truck.Some guys I work with hunt on the other side,and they bought some cheap old but good rifles and leave them over there at the ranchers house,and he locks them up in a big safe.They've hunted there for 4 or 5 years now and the system seems to be working.Off to work,Jerry.

• 2 weeks later...

My deer hunt ended like most of the hunting shows on The Outdoor Channel,last day and last hunt of the trip and I score.I shot a nice 9 point.There we were in the high desert,and all week it was cold,rainy,once it sleeted,and the wind howled all week.The bucks rack wasn't very wide but extra tall and had lots of mass,with some tips broken off from fighting.They had a hard dry summer and the rack size was predicted to smaller this year,and I reckon they were right,'cause the deer had no fat on him compared to last years,he was an old deer with his teeth mostly worn off,but was really in fair shape other than that.At least with the rain they got last week,they'll maybe get some more things to feed on.That desert country thinks it's spring every time it rains,no matter what time of year it is.Man we were covered up with javelina,but zilch on the quail.I saw 2 coveys and they were wild as the deer.We had a blast and have already planned next years hunt.Jerry

• 4 weeks later...