Military Firearm Restoration Corner

Dont Know What To Do

manureman

Dont know that its the proper thing to do but if youall think its alright to and dont mind to,you might think about us in a short prayer.We got about 4 inches of sleet last night then almost 2 feet of snow.It was more wieght then some of my turkey barns could stand and my growout barns ,both 50ft wide and 600ft long have colapsed from the wieght ,on top of the 20,000 turkeys in them.Its really bad here,wish I knew what to do. Thanks , Jim

Damn Jim, wish I were close enough to lend a hand. I will keep you in my prayers for sure. Wish I could do more. Keep strong, have faith!

-Mike

Jim, I would like to help you, but being the distance we are apart, all I can offer is my prayers that you are able to recoup something out of this disaster.

It really makes me feel like, just when something bad weather related happens to me, that there are others that have suffered worse.

It makes a drought seem like small potatoes. My thoughts are with you, and I believe that you will come through this, albeit it may be a setback, it can be overcome.

fritz

Thank you'all for your kind words and prayers.I believe they are helping or I'd of lost my mind by now.By 2 this afternoon my other turkey barns went down,they are all flat on the ground with birds in them,I'm out of the turkey business.I know of over 20 other farms with barns down.I have about half the insurance I should on the barns,they will be out to look things over monday.The turkeys are not mine they are Cargils since I dont own them I cant insure them ,I eat that loss.We are just now getting roads opened up .Some big factory buildings up in Jefferson City have fallen in also,luckily no one has gotten hurt yet.But my mind keeps going to a good friend of mine,they just learned that their beautiful 16 year old daughter has bone cancer.I have no problems.Thanks Jim

But my mind keeps going to a good friend of mine,they just learned that their beautiful 16 year old daughter has bone cancer.I have no problems.Thanks Jim

Jim, you are a good man.

I agree.

As long as the Hippy is ok, nothing bothers me.

karl

Darn, bone cancer- that is very bad. What's her name? Better add her to the list too. The wife and I pray every night.

I'm confused on the turkeys. They aren't yours, but they are your financial loss? Do barns get covered by "acts of God"? Well, if you get a date set up, I have some leave saved. I might be able to lend manpower to the cause for a bit. OR, if you have a specific financial need for something, like pullets, let us know and we can chip in.

Tell ya what- I have two guns for sale in the For Sale forum. If anyone buys them I'll give all proceeds. K-31 and 1891 Argentine. Not cheap, but they aren't junk either.

I also have a Winchester 94 lever action .30-30, made about 1952, very nice condition, with a Lyman peep sight.

$500 delivered, or $430 if you pick it up. Win 94

Jim.

The Hippy said to have your friend's family double check the x-rays. It seems she came across a report of someone being misdiagnosed as having bone cancer when the x-ray was mis-read.

take care

Karl

Guys thank you for your very kind offers to help,it is so much more then generous.There are some very big changes coming to my life but I will be fine,while this is the hardest I've ever been thrown I've been in farming my entire life so this aint my first rodeo with Mother nature.My friends daughters name is Rochelle Wheeler,and sadly it is for sure cancer,please do pray for her.She is going to be treated at St. Judes I think.Tony I'll try to clear up some of the confusion...I am or was a cotract turkey grower for Cargil.I own the buildings and Cargil owns the turkeys.Cargil furnishes the poults,feed ,medication,live haul to the kill plant ,line time....I furnish the buildings, the utilities ,labor ....They bring me the poults the day they hatch then they come back and get them at 20 weeks old,I'm paid a set price per live bird delivered to the plant, if a bird dies for what ever reason before reaching the live haul trucks I don't get paid for it.Some of my barns had 6 week old birds the others 15 week old birds.I don't have a clue how many are dead.We got most of what was left of the younger birds moved to another farm today,what a chore crawling around on your knees and stomach in all that twisted steel and broken lumber to get them out.We start on the big birds in the morning,they will just go ahead and kill them .Barns are still going down it is a mess,yesterday another grower moved what was left of his birds out of his fallen growout barn back into the brooder barn where they had been started and just moved from last week only to have that barn fall in and burn,what a kick in the nads.My barns had snow load insurance that covers damage due to the weight of ice and snow,but I'm afraid they are going to give me problems,I dont trust them.I just saw on the 10 o'clock news where Mid American Truss companies new building has fallen in up in Jefferson City(hows that for adversising),It covered several acres,a big rascal.Their spokesman declined comment,I bet.Boatdocks and boats by the hundereds have been sunk on the Lake of the Ozarks.Tony thankyou for your offer but I couldn't accept as I'll be alright,things always workout one way or another and this place is a big help,lets me vent and kind of lets me escape reality for awhile.Thank youall so much again. Jim

Jim, i wish you all the best in recovering from this difficult time. as you said, with the problems other face loosing some income is not as major as it seems at times. will be thinking of your friends daughter, too. keep your head up...

heath

Jim-

Seems like we have a federal bureau to help with this kind of stuff.

Yup, FEMA!!!

Isn't it common for the governor to declare a "disaster," so funds will be forthcoming for either low interest loans, or outright grants?

Still, it sounds like you had the foresight to get the snow load insurance, so you may not have anything more than a great inconvenience, and the loss of the birds.

Good luck to you, whichever way it goes Jim.

You've been a contributor to this forum.

flaco

N.B. And Tony?

My hat is off to you for your generous offer of help.

I'm glad to hear you had the foresight to get the snow load insurance. Before setting with your insurance get WRITTEN estimates from at least three contractors. Locate the contractors on your own don't depend on the insurance co. Demand the contractors write very specific, itemized estimates and make certain the estimate includes hauling away the debris. Don't hire an unlicensed contractor and make certain they are willing to show you proof they have liability and worker's comp insurance and verify it by contacting the insurance co. Most important before allowing any contractor to start the job, you have in writing a completion date with teeth in it, like $200 a day untill completed. Insurance co contractors have a tendancy to take months. Don't be fooled by the insurance co into believing that you have to use their contractor or hire the contractor offering the lowest bid. Check with your state insurance agency if you are told that by the insurance adjuster, laws vary state to state. Once you select a contractor have the contractor negotiate the cost directly with the insurance co. Do you have business interuption coverage included in your policy?? Read every word of your insurance policy, even the parts you don't understand or what you think is insignificant.

This link offers some good advice on dealing with insurance co's. If you get jacked around by the insurance co. consder hiring a Certified Public Agent. Expect the adjuster to try and trick into believing he is doing you a favor by allowing payment for iffy things. You have the power, they owe you, courts award very generous amounts when insurance co's that get hammered with poor faith in resolving claims. Deal 100% honestly, the adjusters love to find fraud and use it to deny legitimate claims. I used a Certified Public Adjuster and he upped the insurance co's offer by over $30,000. He went into my house after a fire and inventoryed everything down to paper clips, pencils and screwdrivers. The insurance co tried tricking me into overpaying for big obvious items but over looked the small stuff. The insurance co's building contractor was $25,000 below legitimate bids from licensed contractors.

http://www.jfotoole.com/do'sand.htm