Military Firearm Restoration Corner

Which Welding Method?

Racepres

Quick Q. for the experts! Which welding method would produce the least un-wanted heat in surrounding areas?? Seems to my feeble mind that O.A. and T.I.G. would produce the most heat spread to surrounding areas. While M.I.G. and probably Arc, would keep heat more concentrated onto the necessary area. But, this is just my tentative grasp on the situation. What say you?? Thanks MV

Tig is #1, probably followed by Mig, then Arc then AO in terms of least detrimental affects to surrounding metal n the form of unwanted heat. Fritz will correct me if I'm wrong. But tig is definitely the way to go.

Tig is the best. " MORE CONTROL". You can weld a little at a time. If things are getting too hot, stop. It is easier to put filler metal where you want it. If the tig welder has a foot control ( which most machines have) you can use as much or as little heat as you need.

z1r is right

Oxygen/acetlyene is the worst culprit in spreading heat. The torch has to be played over the parts long enough to start the melting process. TIG starts with a more concentrated heat, directed at the precise spot where you apply the filler rod.

Stick electrode is in the middle. If you use a very small rod (1/16 or 5/64) and if you are good and quick, it will work. I did many bolts with stick before getting a TIG. I never used O/A for that.

The bolt welding jig that Brownell's sold did have directions for using arc or O/A (and the positioning of the parts was different for each), but I found that TIG is just quicker and more precise with less slag.

fritz

Thank you all very kindly. I'm a bit late getin back to ya cause the "yung-un" had to use the net.[yup!!! still on dial-up out here in the sticks!] I really do appreciate the response's, and hope someday I can return the favor!! Anybody wanna build a dragbike!! LOL Later. MV